Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to sending flowers

(20 Posts)
swizzlestix Thu 08-Feb-18 22:48:09

My close friend’s Mum died recently after a very short illness. I wanted to send her something with my card as she doesn’t live near me but wanted an alternative to flowers. When my dad died I struggled to find things to put the flowers in and found it sad when they then died and had to be thrown away. Maybe a plant would be better and would last longer. Any ideas would be really welcome. Thank you

TittyGolightly Thu 08-Feb-18 22:49:37

Some nice biscuits or a picture frame for a picture of their loved one?

NewIdeasToday Thu 08-Feb-18 22:54:01

Maybe a heartfelt card would be best?

Flowers become so negative in these circumstances.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Thu 08-Feb-18 22:57:16

Something nice and easy to eat. Generally we don’t want to cook in these circumstances. Some nice ready meals and food staples could be good.

A locket? Nice cosy blanket? Nice candle?

Ochre37 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:02:13

A candle to burn. Brings warmth and light.

newtlover Thu 08-Feb-18 23:08:46

a flowering plant in a nice pot

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Thu 08-Feb-18 23:15:29

what about a rose bush? If you cant get one with her mums name there are lots with appropriate names.

ugghhreally Thu 08-Feb-18 23:28:06

Donation to a charity? My daughter died recently and work / friends wanted to send give flowers. I asked for donations to a charity instead.

swizzlestix Sat 10-Feb-18 02:55:57

Thank you all, some lovely, thoughtful ideas there. So sorry to hear about your daughter ugghreally.

AdventureBegins Sat 10-Feb-18 03:14:07

Yankee candles do one called angel wings which I've sent before.

swizzlestix Sat 10-Feb-18 07:43:32

Thanks Adventure, didn’t know they did that one

thethoughtfox Sat 10-Feb-18 07:49:56

You can get cupcakes in the shape of a bouquet. I got them for my friend. It has the thought of flowers but more personal and it brings a little cheer. Plus some much needed sugar for someone not eating properly.

namechange2222 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:26:53

ugghhreally I'm so sorry for your loss, the worst thing that can ever happen, I know.
I greatly valued anything that continued living, my favourite gift was a small olive tree from M&S in a pot. I eventually planted it in the garden and it's a lovely reminder of people's kindness. M&S do a good delivery service too

suckysnow Sat 10-Feb-18 08:28:34

Dontbuyherflowers do some really lovely care boxes for people who are having tough times.

suckysnow Sat 10-Feb-18 08:29:46

Sorry pressed send too soon.

I’m sorry for your loss ugghhreally, i also found flowers hard to receive when my dad died, so I also try to send an alternative now.

Lemond1fficult Sat 10-Feb-18 08:33:22

When my dad died, a good friend who lived far away sent me a box, filled with a very riveting book, slipper socks, loose fruit tea and strainer, haribo etc. It was so thoughtful, and meant the world to me. I still think of her when I drink a cup of the tea or see the book on my shelf.

I almost feel she showed me what to do, next time it happens to someone else.

QueenoftheSilverDollar12 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:40:45

My friend lost her mum recently. I also didn't want to send flowers so I got a silver necklace with a pearl in it called "A Mother's Love" which she wore to the funeral. I got it on Amazon - will see if I can find the link.

When I lost my dad a few years ago, a friend of mine handed in a huge bag with jars of coffee, tea bags, loads of biscuits as she knew we'd be having lot of people round to visit. I now do this when someone has had a bereavement instead of sending flowers.

swizzlestix Sun 11-Feb-18 19:34:13

Thank you all for sharing those great suggestions, I love the comfort box idea and the olive tree. Lots of food for thought many thanks

swizzlestix Sun 11-Feb-18 19:35:05

Just had a look at the necklace too, lots of designs on the same theme, what a lovey idea

QueenoftheSilverDollar12 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:42:19

I loved the necklace too @swizzlestix. Something a bit different.

I'm going to get my friend's dad a Remembrance rose bush when the time is right to buy them. It's a gorgeous creamy yellow colour, which was his wife's favourite colour.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: