Talk

Advanced search

Sitting with my step mother in last hours

(17 Posts)
reebsr33bs Sat 18-Nov-17 22:43:06

After a 16 day period since diagnosis of lung cancer that had spread and no treatment options we are sitting tonight whilst my step mother slowly dies
3 years since we were in same place as my dad
Just wanted to put it out there to distract me xx

bastardkitty Sat 18-Nov-17 22:44:54

Just sending you a squeeze of your hand x

Tipsytopsyturvy Sat 18-Nov-17 22:47:00

What an unimaginable shock for you.
I hope you have someone to lean on for support. Sending warm thoughts. flowers

Apileofballyhoo Sat 18-Nov-17 22:48:58

That must be awfully hard, reebs.

loobylou10 Sat 18-Nov-17 22:49:45

So sorry. I did this with my mum in February. It is so hard. Sending love and strength flowers

reebsr33bs Sat 18-Nov-17 23:00:18

We're at the stage now where I'm willing it to be over so she is at peace she's had some distressed moments today that were hard to see and the 'death rattle' is unrelenting and difficult to hear x

mineofuselessinformation Sat 18-Nov-17 23:11:54

Is she at the point of having a syringe driver with medication in it? It will help her slip peacefully away, if you and her family want to do that.
It's a very difficult thing to decide. I can only speak from my experience of this. My DF was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, for lots of reasons I won't go into here (as they're probably not relevant), he ended up in a place where he could not survive.
His last 36 hours or so were him being kept calmly and peacefully dozing while the syringe driver did it's work.
I'm so sorry you're in this situation. flowers

f1sher Sat 18-Nov-17 23:15:18

I’m so sorry. Keeping you and your stepmother in my thoughts flowers

DramaAlpaca Sat 18-Nov-17 23:17:30

So sorry. You and your stepmother are in my thoughts tonight flowers

AuditAngel Sat 18-Nov-17 23:19:07

I sat in ITU with my beloved FIL, although not the night he died.

Try to find solace in her reaching peace.

Giraffey1 Sat 18-Nov-17 23:22:52

Bless you for being with her. I’m sure she will know you are there, even if it she’s too ill to show it. May her passing be peaceful ....

Gettingbackinthesaddle Sat 18-Nov-17 23:30:58

I feel your pain OP. Lost my wonderful stepmum to lung cancer a few months ago. Stay strong and I hope she slips away peacefully. So sorry for the loss of your dad so recently too flowers

reebsr33bs Sat 18-Nov-17 23:34:07

The driver went in yesterday and has been increased and an additional driver with other drugs went in earlier today

reebsr33bs Sat 18-Nov-17 23:34:34

The driver went in yesterday and has been increased and an additional driver with other drugs went in earlier today

Hopefullywaiting Sat 09-Dec-17 22:21:33

Just found your post.

I was sat with my stepmum in sep of last year in icu. she had an infection (suspected from a lumber punch and picked up at the hospital) that she couldnt fight off.
She was moved into icu after 5 days of being admitted into hospital with severe back pain. We lost her 3 days later, a week after being admitted.

What a terrible shock and devastating news for you all. Sending you love and peace at this very difficult timeflowers flowersflowers xxxx

echt Mon 11-Dec-17 05:53:24

Such shock for you, reebs. I imagine you feel bowled over by the speed of events. I hope your stepmother is feeling more peaceful now, for her sake first, and yours next as we only find our own peace by being assured we've done all we can.

You sound so loving and caring.

thanks

Hopefullywaiting Mon 11-Dec-17 06:21:37

How are you op flowersflowersflowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: