Talk

Advanced search

Cost of headstone and plot

(4 Posts)
whatisforteamum Mon 13-Nov-17 22:37:10

Dad was not going to have a headstone so since his funeral Mum has his ashes to scatter somewhere nice.
Tonight I was saying perhaps we should have a stone and she seemed to not rule it out.I pointed out we could all chip in as the funeral obviously cost enough.
Any idea how much it would cost? Do churches have different prices? Sorry to be so naive.

Clickncollect Mon 13-Nov-17 22:43:12

Hello, so sorry about your Dad. I lost mine in December and miss him so much.
I've just been sorting his headstone out - we paid £295 to cover the cost of a cremation plot aswell as the vicars time to perform a small burial of ashes ceremony.
Then we've paid £1060 for headstone which also includes £160 Churchyard costs. I used memorialsofdistinction.com
There are lots of rules and regulations which vary per Churchyard.

whatisforteamum Mon 13-Nov-17 23:03:16

Oh thank you and sorry you are in the same situation.
Mum and Dad aren't sentimental so didn't see the point in a permanent reminder.I wonder if Mum has other thoughts now Dad is no longer here.They were together 54 years.

Clickncollect Tue 14-Nov-17 09:42:40

Wow, 54 years of marriage - that's lovely.
My understanding is that there is no hurry so you and your mum can take some time to think about what you would like to do. Our funeral directors had my dad's ashes for 9 months before we took them and they would have held onto them for longer.
We did want a permanent reminder for my Dad as I like the idea of having somewhere quiet to go and reflect but we have had ashes scattered for other family members so just see how you feel as time goes on x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now