Talk

Advanced search

First Christmas without Dad and I'm expected to work on Christmas day

(5 Posts)
whatisforteamum Thu 26-Oct-17 18:33:14

The industry in in includes work unsociable hours.So far since df died six weeks ago I have felt OK.Helping DM and working hard.I anticipated struggling tbh.
However I always become down in the winter.I just found out were open Xmas day.I can't say I'm a Christmas person however surely the emotion of the season and the fact DM loved this time of year I will struggle.
We haven't discussed if anyone is off at all in this period.I'm dreading it tbh although I love working.Help!
Would you find this hard or am I overreacting.

user1497997754 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:01:48

I would either discuss it with HR or your manager or call in sick if neccesary

Optimist1 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:24:32

Calling in sick is bad advice.

If you are definitely rostered to work on the day then I think you need to adjust the timings of your festivities (for example if you're working till 4:00pm arrange for your DM to be visited by other family/friends in the morning and leave her some little jobs like preparing the veg for the Christmas meal that you and she will enjoy in the evening).

whatisforteamum Thu 26-Oct-17 19:33:20

I wasn't going to call in sick.

Sodaface Thu 26-Oct-17 19:36:02

Call in sick 😳 ..... big no no!

If I were you I’d speak to HR/Manager about it it see if someone can swap shifts. Personally I’d work it, the day willl go in quickly and it might take your mind of thugs a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now