Advanced search

Is it possible for a 12yo to self-refer for counselling?

(10 Posts)
girlsmum Sun 11-Jun-17 17:51:41


My friend died 5 years ago. I am still in contact with her 12 yo dd.

Her dd has had a real rollercoaster since her Mum passed and has asked me today how could she go about finding someone to talk to.

School so far haven't been overly helpful - perhaps if I contact them they might be more..?

She finds it difficult to speak to her Dad. He has in the past promised to look into it, but hasn't. This is tricky ground for me as it could upset him.

Any advice? Is there a charity perhaps anyone could recommend?

bigbluebus Sun 11-Jun-17 19:17:53

Would she be able to contact this charity or if not maybe you could contact them for advice on her behalf:

bigbluebus Sun 11-Jun-17 19:19:54

Or this one:

Defuzzing Sun 11-Jun-17 19:20:39

As a minor, their guardian should go to their GP and ask for a referral

blue2014 Sun 11-Jun-17 19:34:54

I would imagine the GP could refer if needed? At 12 she's likely to be Gillick competent which I would think is all she needs?

Missingthepoint Sun 11-Jun-17 19:39:38

Winston's Wish are very good.

girlsmum Sun 11-Jun-17 20:49:30

Thanks so much. Will check out charities above.

Unfortunately, asking her Dad to take her to GP is highly unlikely.

blue2014 Sun 11-Jun-17 21:38:28

Can someone else take her? Doesn't need to be dad

girlsmum Sun 11-Jun-17 22:31:20

Thanks blue2014. I'll ask her (think I know the answer though).

I've contacted both charities and will see what they advise.

blue2014 Sun 11-Jun-17 22:52:11

Best wishes to you, I'm sorry for both your losses

(Actually maybe you could just phone the GP some trusts have self referral child therapy services)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: