Talk

Advanced search

Please may I ask a question?

(5 Posts)
LadyOrangutan Wed 12-Apr-17 09:37:17

I really hope this doesn't upset anyone here, if it does I am truly sorry.

My darling cousin died very unexpectedly after a short illness in January of this year. He was only 16.
His mother, my aunt, who I love, very kindly sent me a birthday present recently and thanked me for the care & support I had given when he died.
She then signed the card with her & my uncle's names and the names of all of her children, including my cousin that has passed away.

My question is this: If you have lost a child, and you have signed cards including thier name, what would you prefer to get back?
When writing the thank you card, should I write all of the names like she did? Address it to "all of the X family" ?

I really don't want to upset her by doing the wrong thing.

Jeaniusly Wed 12-Apr-17 19:21:19

"Thank you so much for your very kind gift. Much appreciated, thinking of you all, and (deceased person), as always." Love Y.

highinthesky Wed 12-Apr-17 19:23:56

Definitely acknowledge your cousin, your aunt will appreciate it.

bigbluebus Thu 13-Apr-17 16:35:45

Given that she has used his name, I think it would be the right thing to do to ackowledge him in the reply. When my DD died before Christmas, some people sent Christmas cards which didn't mention DD at all, whilst some put our names and added the words "and remembering DD".

LadyOrangutan Thu 13-Apr-17 18:36:30

Thank you all for replying. I really appreciate it.

I'll take your advice and absolutely acknowledge him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now