My dad

(6 Posts)
guest2013 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:44:43

I don't know if it's OK to post here as my dad is still here at the moment. I just want somewhere to talk about him. He's 59 and last may was diagnosed with AML.. he's put up an amazing fight, he really has been heroic but he's in his final few days now.
My heart is breaking for myself, my children who idolise him and are old enough to know what's going on but most of all my lovely mum, they've been married for 40 years and are best friends.
He was the best dad, i know everyone says that but he really was. He worked so hard for us, everything he did was to better our lives. He'd work 40+ hours a week, come home and do a degree in the evening and still have time to read me and my brother stories.
Why does this happen to the best people? I know it's a cliche but it seems so fucking unfair. He's worked his whole life looking forward to retirement and for this. I could scream. I'm so angry.
It's hard seeing my incredible dad who was once so strong lying in a bed, thin and covered in tubes. I'm scared how my mum is going to be when it happens.. i hope she can live the rest of her life and not just give it up for grief.
If anyone has any advice or just a kind word I'd appreciate it. Thank you for reading. It feels good to get it out.

Despairbunny Fri 17-Mar-17 10:50:18

Oh sweetheart. I lost my dad after a prolonged illness 3 years ago & it hurt like fuck. I found Cruse bereavement counselling to be very helpful.

teaandakitkat Sun 19-Mar-17 08:41:47

So sorry to hear your news. Hope you can have some special moments with your dad in his last few days. He sounds just how you want your dad to be, just lovely.

minmooch Sun 19-Mar-17 08:59:06

I'm sorry. It's so hard watching a loved one die. I hope when his time comes it is peaceful. In the meantime I hope you have precious moments together.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Sun 19-Mar-17 09:00:37

I'm so sorry. Xx

HumphreyCobblers Sun 19-Mar-17 09:08:07

I am so sorry. Your dad sounds absolutely lovely. It is so unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now