Talk

Advanced search

It's my mum's birthday tomorrow

(13 Posts)
alazuli Thu 16-Mar-17 22:41:18

Can't believe this time last year I still had a mum. She would have been 63.

And soon it'll be Mother's Day and then the first anniversary of her death at the beginning of April. It's going to be a tough few weeks. sad

umizoomi Thu 16-Mar-17 22:49:16

flowers

It gets easier. My dad would have had a 'big' birthday today. It's nearly two decades ago but he was way too young and a few tears have been shed.

The firsts are very hard.

ssd Thu 16-Mar-17 22:52:25

Happy Birthday to your mum thanks

it does get easier, but only over time...I've lost both my parents and only years down the line can I think of them or get through special days without crying

my heart goes out to you, it's very hard I know

alazuli Thu 16-Mar-17 23:01:18

Thanks both. I've been keeping busy and trying not to think about things too much. It already seems like so long ago that she was around.

Tirion1649 Fri 17-Mar-17 05:59:30

alazuli and umizoomii Happy Brithday to your parents today flowers Thinking of you both today.

ssd is right. It does get easier to cope as the years go on and now I find that anniversaries are, yes, difficult and sad but also rather peaceful and healing.

Tootsiepops Fri 17-Mar-17 06:07:12

alazuli - the first anniversary of my mum's death is also at the beginning of April. I am dreading it. She'd only just turned 60.

Last year was my first Mother's Day as a new mum, and my own mum sent me a framed picture and a card to mark the ocassion.

Never in a million years did I think she'd be dead less than a month later, and I'd only get to celebrate one Mother's Day with both my daughter and my mum. I thought we had decades ahead of us sad

flumpybear Fri 17-Mar-17 06:13:17

Hugs flowers it would have been my mum's 70th on Monday so I feel your pain. She died 5 years ago. I couldn't see her before she died as she lived on the other side of the world and I was heavily pregnant when she became sick and died when my son was only 12 weeks - too early for him to fly, particularly that far, without risk. We did always say that it may turn out us kids may not see her before she died as she lived miles away and she said that's a risk she'd take
For the lifestyle she wanted .... it helped a bit but I still feel I wanted to be there for her as I was my dad when he died 7 years ago

VintagePerfumista Fri 17-Mar-17 06:16:37

[flowers} for all of you. xx

VintagePerfumista Fri 17-Mar-17 06:16:55

flowers

UnbornMortificado Fri 17-Mar-17 06:21:03

Birthdays and anniversaries/special occasions are hard. Happy Birthday to your mam alaz flowers

Callmesausage Fri 17-Mar-17 23:00:48

So sorry for everyone's losses x

alazuli Sat 18-Mar-17 08:12:26

Thanks everyone and sorry for all your losses. It was a weird day - not because of this - but because someone did something really annoying and I ended up stressing over that. I think my anxiety is easily triggered nowadays. Anyway - people are so thoughtless sometimes!

umi and flumpy - happy birthday to your parents.

Tootsie - sorry to hear your mum's anniversary is coming up too. My mum was 62. They were both too young. I thought I'd have a good 20 years left.

ssd Mon 20-Mar-17 09:41:45

people are thoughtless, I agree! and yes to being more anxious now too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now