Talk

Advanced search

help for grieving DS

(4 Posts)
songrievingworriedmum Sun 12-Feb-17 17:33:51

My DS's best friend was killed in a freak accident three years ago when he was 16. He was offered counselling at the time, tried it but found it unhelpful; he didn't in his words to want 'stop being sad' because he was right to be sad because he lost someone he loved very much. His mood then became very low and he withdrew into his self and saw a psychiatrist who felt that he wasn't clinically depressed.
Now he's significantly better but says he still has periods when he is overwhelmed with grief and he has to force himself to get out of bed/eat/think this last about 3-4 days and occurs once about month, he also finds that on a. day to day basis he is unable to look to the future or make plans for his future with any enthusiasm or interest. He told me today that he would now like to go for counselling as he no longer wishes to feel like this. He is 19 and on a gap year.Should he contact Cruise or Hope Again or can anyone suggest another organisation who might help him. We live right on the Wilts/Glouc/Oxford border but our post code is Gloucestershire so he can't see Seesaw.

BackforGood Sun 12-Feb-17 22:46:05

Winston's Wish are very good for children and young people - not sure if that applies to a 19 yr old, but if you contact them, and they can't help, then they might be able to put you in touch with another organisation that can.

songrievingworriedmum Sun 12-Feb-17 23:20:29

Ive contacted Winstons Wish in the past they will not help as it's not a very close relative that's died. At the time they suggested Cruise who couldn't help as our "local" one didn't have any counsellors trained for his age group (he was 16 then).

LimeFizz Sun 12-Feb-17 23:26:23

Have you tried your GP? Mine was very helpful when DCs needed bereavement counselling.

It's a good thing that he wants the help now flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now