Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Friends Suicide has been sent to an inquest...any idea why?

(7 Posts)
yohoohoo Sun 29-Jan-17 23:59:39

My best friend took her own life in Nov. She left a note. Post mortum & toxicology reported not natural death tablets and alcohol was found. So an interium death certificate was issued and has now gone to an inquest and we dont understand why as a note was left. Also since the night she was found the police arrived and since they we have heard nothing from anyone. All seems quite strange

midcenturymodern Mon 30-Jan-17 00:07:22

There is always an inquest for a death by suicide in England I think. I know there isn't always in Scotland but I think in England and Wales there is.
Sorry for you loss. I lost my own bf in similar circumstances 9 years ago.

mirokarikovo Mon 30-Jan-17 00:09:13

Sorry for your loss. These tragedies can take a long time to get over.

An inquest doesn't mean that they suspect a crime has taken place, it just means there are questions to be answered. Eg. Were any support services given an opportunity to help her that they missed? Are there any lessons to be learned? That sort of thing is much more likely than the more dramatic questions of are we sure the toxins in the blood match the pills and alcohol found, and are we sure she wrote the note - which are the sort of things you see in TV inquests but are less frequent in real ones.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 30-Jan-17 00:09:45

Standard I think.

dietstartsmonday Mon 30-Jan-17 00:09:47

Hi my dad took his own life last year and we were advised all suicides went to inquest. He left a note too so there was no doubt but suppose they have to be sure.

Sorry for your loss

smileyhappypeople Mon 30-Jan-17 00:11:10

I think there is always an inquest into death if it's sudden.
They did one with someone I know even though he was a known long term drug user and it was clearly an overdose. The inquest wasn't long though and I think it was ruled as 'misadventure' in the end.
I think it's just so that some one has legally said that there are no suspicious circumstances and that the person did intend to take their life etc.

Char22thom Mon 30-Jan-17 12:20:29

There is always an inquest for any death deemed 'unexplained'. In my experience from my brothers suicide the inquest was not to establish the cause of death as in suicide but to determine exactly what happened surrounding the persons death. In my brothers scenario it was about the days and weeks leading up to the death, what happened on the day he died, a couple of statements were read out from witnesses etc and it lasted half an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now