Talk

Advanced search

Problems sleeping after bereavement

(6 Posts)
nowayjose1 Thu 19-Jan-17 05:50:40

Just that really. Since Dad died last week I feel so tired my eyes are falling out my head but can't sleep at all!!

Feel like during the day I'm coping well but then at night time my brain decides to think about it all!

I finding I forget words too when I'm talking but i guess that's just where I'm so tired and can't really concentrate on anything.

Anyone tried sleeping tablets? Herbal remedies?

Ifailed Thu 19-Jan-17 06:21:39

if it's affecting your health, see your GP. However I would suggest it's perfectly normal, and as hard as it sounds, accept it. Your mind is racing to deal with your loss, its a part of grief and bereavement, and can be very draining. Speak to others, you may find you are not alone and it can be oddly comforting as you lie awake to know others are doing the same.

echt Thu 19-Jan-17 06:28:09

So many of the effects of grieving are, apparently physiological in origin, being hyper, stupidly alert, tired but can't sleep.

I soooo get the forgetting words - a handicap in my job as a teacher.

Don't be afraid to see your GP about some short term sleep remedies.

Sorry for your loss, noway

anametouse Thu 19-Jan-17 06:43:20

Sorry for your loss. I find night nurse or drowsy antihistamines help sleep. I would used a relaxation cd or ap too though it sounds like the silence of night allows you more time to think which is impacting your sleep / relaxation my distract from that

nowayjose1 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:44:09

Thanks everybody. I went to the dr for an unrelated issue this morning and asked what her her thoughts were on herbal remedies but she just printed me off a prescription for sleeping tablets.

I'm quite excited about taking one tonight in the hope of an amazing sleep. We will see! X

anametouse Thu 19-Jan-17 17:30:48

Sleep well OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now