Talk

Advanced search

emdr therapy for traumatic bereavement (London)

(5 Posts)
godhelpmeplease Wed 11-Jan-17 16:22:12

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post but I am looking for an emdr therapist in London. It is for my (adult) daughter who has gone to pieces after the recent death of her dog in horrendous cirumstances. A few people on here have said this therapy can be good for traumatic bereavement and in the days since this happened I've taken her to A& E, GP, psychotherapist, Crisis something or other.
Each and every one of them told her to go somewhere else, eg. psychotherapist told her to get antidepressants from GP, A & E told her to go to GP (she is feeling suicidal), GP told her to go to therapist or Cruse (where she'll only be able to go in about 6 weeks), Crisis told her to call back when she was 'less stressed'. etc.
Any suggestions or names of EMDR therapists in London gratefully received.

Dollydays1 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:46:50

I'm so sorry this is happening to your DD. I had a very similar trauma a month ago. I lost my dog in a horrendous accident too and its unbearably difficult to come to terms with.

I've never heard of EMDR so I don't have a recommendation for you but hopefully someone will be along shortly who does.

There are some great books on grief that help to explain all the emotions and I found Seven Choices: Finding Daylight after Loss Shatters Your World by Elizabeth Harper Neeld very good.

flowers for your DD

meringue33 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:58:04

Bless her hope she gets the help she needs. Unfortunately I can't recommend someone but I've heard that EMDR really works.

ThatsALovelyBush Wed 11-Jan-17 22:09:28

I had EMDR about five years ago for PTSD - really recommend it; helped sort out flashbacks, panic attacks and anxiety.

I can't suggest a therapist in London, but mine is registered with the EMDR Association. May be worth looking at their website - emdrassociation.org.uk/find-a-therapist/mapping/

Sending you and your daughter lots of love as you both deal with this.

godhelpmeplease Thu 12-Jan-17 14:14:18

thank you so much to all for your kind words. It's reassuring to hear some positive feedback on emdr and the association website is a good idea. And to dolly: so so sorry about your dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now