Talk

Advanced search

Mother coping with My Father

(3 Posts)
pumpkinpumkin Fri 30-Dec-16 20:50:05

I know this Is a bereavement thread but I think this is the best place for help.

My father has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, we don't know how long he had left but has started new treatment. He's been in hospital for 2 months getting one infection after another.

My mother is a difficult person and has already started to grieve for my father. Which in some ways I can't blame her. She needs a lot of support and some are just too much for me and my siblings to handle. I wanted to get some advise on how to start her getting used to being in their house alone. (As horrible as that is sad) she wants company 24/7 including overnight which we are just not able to provide. We all have jobs and children which equally require time. We've been doing it so far to help her but long term it's just not feasible for someone to be with her all the time. When we are not there she has panic attacks and says we have abandoned her. It's make a terrible situation so much worse.

MakeJam Sat 31-Dec-16 10:52:11

How old is your Mum?

I wonder if you can talk to her GP to see if you can get any extra support for your Mum ie. Social Services/Home Help/Carer. Also something to help with her panic attacks. Does she have any friends who could help? She must be feeling very lost and you must be feeling worried and exhausted.

Also, have a look at the Age UK website for more information.
here
flowers

MakeJam Sat 31-Dec-16 12:28:53

I just had another idea. The support line for MacMillan is:

here

And they also have local support centres. Their phone number is 0808 808 00 00.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now