Talk

Advanced search

Bereavement counselling

(4 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Thu 29-Dec-16 19:23:39

My dad died 6mo ago and I'm considering looking into bereavement counselling.

A) how do I go about this and b) if you had it did it work for you?

Thanks

wingingitmomma Fri 30-Dec-16 08:05:37

Hi flip,

Firstly, I am very sorry to read about your dad losing a parent is an extremely tragic and life changing event.

I lost my mother quite suddenly 3 and a half years ago so I understand how you must be feeling. Back when I lost my mum the information for bereavement counselling came from the funeral director but the information is also available from your GP. I personally did not go to any counselling and I regret it deeply and my unresolved feelings regarding my mothers death are having a negative impact on my life currently and destroying mine and my MILs relationship.

If I am remembering this correctly there is a waiting list for bereavement counselling and a time frame in which it can be taken... ridiculous when grief has no time frame.

I just want to say to you that 6 months is still early days. You never get over such a huge loss but you do learn to live with a heavy heart. Sometimes it can feel just as painful as when the person first passed these are usually events like Christmas, birthdays, birth of a baby, wedding day etc. I still cry for my mum and I grieve for the nanny my daughter doesn't have. As each day passes it will hurt a little less you'll have good days and bad days and that is absolutely fine.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful I just didn't want to leave this unanswered x

alazuli Sat 31-Dec-16 11:48:09

OP - I contacted www.cruse.org.uk/

They're a free service. Sadly, I had a to stop my sessions after 2/3 weeks as my wok rota got too crazy to fit them in. I'm hoping to go back next year at some point.

Also, winging if you feel you could have benefited from some counselling why not do it now? As you say there's no time frame to grief.

Helbelle75 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:58:23

Sorry for your loss.
I was given the number for cruse from my gp and they were incredibly helpful and I found the counselling very useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now