Talk

Advanced search

my dad died and i don't know what to do

(10 Posts)
ClosedAuraOpenMind Wed 21-Dec-16 00:23:07

as it say, my dad died today. he'd been unwell for ages, but that way where they were managing him being unwell iykwim
he was in hospital sunday into monday. they changed his medication. my mum went out to get his prescription, came back and he was gone.

so apart from truly shit timing - just before christmas and my sodding birthday ffs - he didn't tell my mother if he had any life insurance

don't suppose anybody out there, in the world of mumsnet, knows how i can check if he did...

thanks in advance

MinesAGin Wed 21-Dec-16 00:29:04

I'm so sorry you lost your dad.

His bank statements should show if he was paying for life assurance. Was he working?

elephantoverthehill Wed 21-Dec-16 00:29:47

flowers I am sorry to hear of your loss. The usual thing is to go through his paperwork, your Mum will probably need to help, but may be the 2 of you can support each other and do it together. Is there any rush? Can you just not grieve first and get the formalities sorted.

luciole15 Wed 21-Dec-16 00:30:22

Really sorry to hear this. thanks Take some time to recover from the shock. When you are able you can start looking though his paper work and will find out soon enough. thanks

pithivier Wed 21-Dec-16 06:31:47

I am sorry for your loss. As well as checking bank statements for a current policy, it is a good idea to check through any old paperwork. If your dad was elderly it is possible he had a "paid up policy". This is where the life insurance will be paid, up no more payments are required.

If you find any policies at all, contact the insurer and send or scan a copy to them. Don't let the original go until you have established a claim, and be sure to write down all policy numbers and dates.

My mum died last year and we found an old penny policy taken out in 1922. I think it paid out about £1100

Note3 Wed 21-Dec-16 06:47:27

I'm sorry for your loss. That sounds like a big shock for you and your mum.

I hang out on Martins money saving website a lot and someone posted a similar question. The responses were unfortunately showed that there's no easy and clearcut way to find out info.

They did say to ask any employer about a pension as this may have a cash payout upon death as well as regular payments.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 21-Dec-16 06:52:02

So sorry about your dad.

From the experience of losing my mum, going through paperwork was the only way we could sort it out.

pithivier Wed 21-Dec-16 10:00:18

I had forgotten about the employer. When I wrote to them about my mums death, they gave a death benefit to my Stepfather. They said he could have a lump sum or a monthly pension about a third of her pension.

bassetmum Wed 21-Dec-16 10:15:49

I'm so sorry. I lost my dad back in july. Unfortunately the only way you will know is to go through any paperwork he has. The most important document to find is the will. We were lucky and dad had put his funeral wants in there too.

ClosedAuraOpenMind Thu 22-Dec-16 21:21:23

thanks to those who posted. whole thing is a massive mess.....organisation (and even tidying) were not my dad's strengths.

there's no will. we've spent two days looking for his wallet to get bank cards, driving licence etc. my DB found it today in the washing machine in his trouser pockets, wringing wet.

but we did get his national insurance number...so i guess that's a start

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now