Teen - should grief be this angry?

(3 Posts)
pugsandseals Sun 14-Aug-16 23:04:07

14 year old dd has lost first her aunt & now her grandmother within a year. Doesn't really talk about it, but is generally very snappy & argumentative & just won't take any advice from anyone about anything. If it were term time I would ask school for suggestions. Would it be a good idea to find some counselling for her? & if so where would I look? Not keen on going to gp for advice as have had mixed experiences there in the past, but September seems like a long time to wait to get schools advice!
Any experience or advice please?

NavyandWhite Mon 15-Aug-16 12:15:31

Sorry for your losses OP.
I think anger is quite common when grieving tbh as it one of the supposed stages we go through. Plus she's going through some huge hormonal changes too.

Give her her space but let her know you're there if she needs you ( which I'm you do ) and just let her be.

See how she goes over the next few weeks and once she's back at school. If there's no improvement you could speak to school?

My Ds was 16 when he lost his older brother very suddenly and he became very withdrawn and sharp, his college were very good at supporting him through that time, I also got in touch with someone that I knew who counselled teens through different troubled times and he spoke to Ds quite a few times which helped him.

Try not to panic. I'm sure she will be ok flowers

pugsandseals Fri 19-Aug-16 14:59:26

Thank you so much for your reply NavyandWhite- happily she has calmed down a lot this week while she's been at a daily holiday club! I'll wait & see what school make of her when she goes back. Also, I've just found out that she read the school 'compulsory fiction' book a couple of weeks ago - having just read it myself I've found it's about a girl dying of cancer so I think I'm pretty sure that's why she wobbled so much! Grrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now