Talk

Advanced search

Confused about bereavement counselling

(5 Posts)
cocochanel21 Tue 12-Jan-16 17:35:56

Looking for advice about bereavement counselling. My Dd died suddenly just over 3mths ago she was 23. I was 7mths pregnant, I was devastated and completely numb. I buried my feelings and tried to carry on. My newborn is 6wks and I'm finding it really hard to cope. I know my hormones and emotions aren't helping.
I think I would probably benefit from counselling but the truth is I'm scared to start the process. I don't know how I would cope and if I'm strong enough.

I'm coping with day to day actvices and looking after the baby but I know I need to open up about my daughter I miss her so much and so sad she never got to meet her sister.
Can anybody give me advice, does counselling help and is it normal to feel apprehensive.
Thank you.

BackforGood Tue 12-Jan-16 17:39:13

I can only speak for myself (an I had lost a sibling and parents, not a dc).
I found it very, very helpful.
I would never have considered myself someone who would go for counseling {whatever that might look like}, but it gave me a couple of hours a fortnight to get some "me time" and talk to other people about what I was finding hard. (Mine was group therapy).

I didn't know what to expect, and was very nervous of going, but I thought - well, if it doesn't suit me, I can stop smile

BackforGood Tue 12-Jan-16 17:39:43

I should have said, I am so sorry for your loss flowers

MummyZELC Tue 12-Jan-16 19:10:40

I remember your other thread and bereavement counselling aside you are doing brilliantly thanks
I am so truly sorry for your loss and what you have been through. I cannot speak for myself but when my uncle died in his twenties my Gran found bereavement counselling extremely beneficial and although it would be silly to say that she's 'gotten over' losing my uncle because no parent will ever get over it so to speak, she went on to go back to work, got remarried and live what we would call 'normally' until her health began to decline in her late 60s. She's still with us just not as full of life as she was because she physically can't be HTH

MummyBex1985 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:46:40

I'm sorry for your loss. It's a lot to cope with.

I've been to three counselling sessions and it feels like a weight has been lifted every time I go. She helps me order my thoughts and make sense of the madness and uncertainty of life.

It sounds like you have a lot on (like me) and feel the need to just put on a brave face and carry on (like me) and IMO counselling helps the most in that situation.

I hope you're okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now