Talk

Advanced search

Mum died this morning.

(20 Posts)
drzeus Mon 21-Dec-15 21:03:35

My mum passed away overnight. She had been suffering from dementia for a number of years and was in a nursing home. I saw her, with my dad on Sunday morning; we knew then that the outlook wasn't good. Got a call at 1230am to say she had passed. Got to the nursing home at 3am to be with dad. Sister and BIL have also come down. My DH has been looking after our boys. Trying to get my head round what we need to do and preparing for Christmas for my family. Also it's my eldest's birthday on 30th. I am numb and have drunk way too much coffee and tea. Been up since 6am Sunday. All too much......

ALemonyPea Mon 21-Dec-15 21:05:06

Im so sorry for your loss flowers

My deepest sympathies to you and your family, drzeus. My lovely MIL passed away at the beginning of December last year, and we had the funeral on December 23rd, so I know how it feels to be bereaved at this time of year.

{{{hugs}}}

ladygracie Mon 21-Dec-15 21:06:29

I am so very very sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself and let other people look after you too x

AlistairSim Mon 21-Dec-15 21:07:02

I'm so sorry, OP xxx

Lolimax Mon 21-Dec-15 21:07:50

I'm so sorry. I lost my mum just after Christmas last year. Be kind to yourself flowers

timelytess Mon 21-Dec-15 21:10:04

flowers

Greydog Mon 21-Dec-15 21:11:36

Very sorry for you. As Lolimax says - be kind to yourself

FartyTette Mon 21-Dec-15 21:13:06

So sorry for your loss. flowers Really hard at any time, but especially at this time of the year.

Remember that you need to look after yourself during the next few weeks.

BeaufortBelle Mon 21-Dec-15 21:18:38

I've seen you around for years drzeuss. I am so sorry - awful time if year for it.

With love and >>>>hugs<<<<.

drzeus Mon 21-Dec-15 21:36:30

Bless you guys. Xxx
It all seems very surreal at the moment. We haven't yet got the paperwork from the nursing home in order to register the death. Hopefully tomorrow. I've had a wallow in a hot bath wit (yet another) cup of tea. Now going to turn in.

hilbil21 Mon 21-Dec-15 21:40:07

My mum died a month ago and I'm still struggling. I'm sorry for your loss xxx

Themodernuriahheep Mon 21-Dec-15 21:40:25

So very sorry.

At least you and your DF saw her on Sunday. A mercy.

flowers

BeaufortBelle Mon 21-Dec-15 21:43:27

I hope you get refreshing sleep love. One step at a time.

sem973 Mon 21-Dec-15 21:55:01

Hi drzeus

Big hugs x I too lost my beloved mum 3 wks ago

Sarah x

ClityClityBangBang Mon 21-Dec-15 22:04:23

So sorry Drzeus,

Christmas is an awful time to go through bereavement thanks

Thinking of you

drzeus Sat 26-Dec-15 13:58:15

I can't believe its Boxing Day already. I had to register the death on Christmas Eve afternoon. The paperwork didn't come through from the attending GP until Wednesday afternoon. Had to do a last minute trip round Waitrose straight afterwards. Surreal.
Thankfully, Dad and the family came over on Christmas Day and, under the circumstances, we had an OK day. Lovely lunch of roast lamb. It's my sisters birthday today and my eldest son on Wednesday. Appointment booked at the funeral director for Tuesday afternoon.
Feeling a bit wobbly today as its the first time I've sat down with nothing to do. Well there is stuff to do. I might pop out for a walk and some fresh air shortly. Thanks for your support Mumsnetters.

Themodernuriahheep Sat 26-Dec-15 15:07:51

Well done for registering the death. Were you able to do all the other state bits as well ? Eg pensions, benefits, etc?

Fresh air, exercise, hot drinks regularly either a biscuit will keep you going.

Hand holding for you and you DF.

VulcanWoman Sat 26-Dec-15 15:27:24

Sorry for you loss.
Themod There's no all fired rush to do the pensions etc is there, I wouldn't start any of that until after the funeral.

drzeus Wed 30-Dec-15 14:34:31

Went to the Funeral Directors yesterday afternoon with my DF, DSis and BIL. Funeral is Thursday 14th January @ 1.30pm. Another list of things to sort out which have been shared out between me and DSis. I've been trawling pinterest looking at stuff. We have got two lovely readings which we'd like to include if DF will let us:

Ascension

And if I go,
while you're still here...
Know that I live on,
vibrating to a different measure
--behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
You will not see me,
so you must have faith.
I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
--both aware of each other.
Until then, live your life to its fullest.
And when you need me,
Just whisper my name in your heart,
...I will be there.

Ascension copyright ©1987, Colleen Corah Hitchcock

Winnie-the-Pooh
“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
― A.A. Milne

Now feeling very wobbly as just arrived in today's post, was a Christmas card sent by DF to us, and signed from Mum and Dad (Grandma and Grandpa). Postmark was 18th December.

Anyway, I need to snap out of this again, as it's DS's 14th birthday. Hopefully we are going out for something to eat later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now