Talk

Advanced search

xmas presents for my dad (first xmas without my mum)

(7 Posts)
marilynmonroe Thu 10-Dec-15 15:01:48

this will be our first christmas without my mum. She died in march and my dad has been doing amazingly well until recently. He's really down and feeling v lonely. He is going to spend xmas with my family (I have 2 young kids). I want to get him a really lovely present. He was always difficult to get for but this year even harder. He loves arts and culture but don't want to buy him a ticket for one for anything as it's just a painful reminder of what he has lost. He loves travelling too. Any ideas?

FoxesSitOnBoxes Thu 10-Dec-15 18:57:58

Read this in unanswered threads and really felt for you and your dad but I am AWFUL at buying for dads. Am bumping this though because I'm sure someone will have ideas flowers

marilynmonroe Thu 10-Dec-15 19:35:18

Thank you foxes! It's definitely a hard time for all of us. A present won't make the pain go away but it might put a smile on his face for a bit.

FadedRed Thu 10-Dec-15 19:53:03

What about National Trust membership, as well as places to visit, he will get quarry magazine and they also do some cultural events and 'behind the scenes things that might appeal to someone who likes art, culture and travel. And he would be able to attend these on his own as they attract people who are interested in the same things as he is iyswim.
Is he into astronomy? A really good pair of celestial binoculars would cost about £70, and there are some brilliant apps for phone/tablets, or maybe a good book to accompany them.
If he is into gardening then some plant pots and exotic plant bulbs (orchids, lilies, something tropical) with an appropriate gardening book. Or a rose with your Mum's name?
If he is into tetchy stuff then he might like a Raspberry Pi to have a play with. There is a good book (Haynes manual iirc).
If he is into cars, he might like ticket to F1at Silverstone, or one of the vintage car events like Glorios Goodward, the Festival of Speed, or one of several similar events across the country. Or a driving experience, anything from supercars to driving a tank. You could go for a family day out to watch and take photos.
I hope you have a good Christmas, Op. I know how difficult the 'firsts' can be, and my DM died last January so this is a first for us too and I know she will be very much on our minds too this year. flowers

FadedRed Thu 10-Dec-15 19:55:08

'Quarry' should be 'quarterly'.

Sharingnicely Thu 10-Dec-15 20:00:27

How about a subscription to a magazine or a journal like the tls or lrb - very learned and could be a good distraction? Or a pile of classic books that he hasn't read yet but would love to? I always find poetry is good for almost any emotional situation.

That and also something really personal from you and the kids, like a calendar of family photos - so that he feels part of the family.

marilynmonroe Thu 10-Dec-15 20:58:51

Thank you faded red! My dad is a life long member of the nt. he bought it in the 80's got £80. Bargain!

The calendar is a great idea. Will order one up tomorrow and put some lovely photos of my mum in it.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your dm too. I hope you Christmas is ok for you too xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now