Talk

Advanced search

End of an era and moving on

(2 Posts)
sayerville Sun 26-Jul-15 10:47:03

I lost my Dad 5 years ago and my Mum Valentines day this year. I feel so up and down I think I'm fine then wham next minute the slightest thing can set me off.
I wasn't prepared for the emotional roller coaster of clearing the house, it's taken me 9 months so far (Mum left the house over a year ago). Some days I would just go and sit and cry there.
I decided I didn't want to part with the family home - not yet so it makes sense to rent, I am still not 100% sure,it's a family moving in so that is a good thing I think...
So tomorrow the final pieces of furniture are being taken by a charity and the house ie empty (apart from the loft which I just can't face!) and it's the end of an era, time to let go it feels weird as it was the place I grew up, but I feel I've been on a very long journey and it' been a hard road to walk.
Never a day goes by without thinking of my parents and I don't think that will stop, ever....

Cantkinsale Sun 26-Jul-15 14:39:30

Sayer I've been where you are now. 20yr & 10yr for me.
I remember the day I had to say goodbye to the family home, it was almost like losing my identity, a part of me, another part of my life, family even.
It was the place I grew up. Place I felt secure. Place I could return to no matter where in the world I happened to be. So many memories, good and bad, happy and sad.
I allowed myself to be sad, there was no point in hiding it. I was scared of going into it for the last time, but, it had been revamped ready for sale, so the house I remember was no longer there. I was terrified opening the front room door, I half expected to see my dad sitting in his chair watching TV, he wasn't of course and I knew he wouldn't be , BUT.....
As you will be renting the house out, try visiting it (as landlady) when the new family move in. Perhaps seeing new life being created there will help in some way. I know it helped me close a chapter in my life which I was finding very hard. If I hadn't done that, I'm not sure if I'd have been able to move on fully.
Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now