Advanced search

to feel I missed out of grieving for my dad

(2 Posts)
tobytomcat88 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:44:49

My dad died suddenly when I was 6 months pregnant. I have 2 younger brother 20 & 18. at the time of his death I was off ill and my brothers were both at college. He had a gf who I did not get on with who didn't want anything to do with arrangements, funeral or otherwise so it was all left to me.

I had to arrange the funeral sort out the will, finances and declaring his death to what felt like the world all whilst being ill and pregnant.

I feel like I was so busy sorting things I didn't have time to stop and grieve

does that make sense?

CalicoBlue Wed 11-Feb-15 16:37:38

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds that you had a hard time and everything was left to you.

I know when my father died, it was only after the funeral and all the family nonsense had finished that I felt I could mourn him. Then I could remember him as I wanted to, I could look at photos and spend quiet time thinking about him.

We can mourn at any time, and I don't think there is a time limit on it. Maybe you can make time for thinking about him now. Is there a charity he supported? can you do something for them in his name. I have a charity page with a charity related to the illness that killed him and on his birthday I make a donation.

Is there somewhere you used to go with him? maybe a visit would make you feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now