Talk

Advanced search

Not sending christmas cards - how do I announce this?

(8 Posts)
mandywb Mon 15-Dec-14 10:10:03

My mum passed away 2 weeks ago, the funeral was last week and I have decided not to send Christmas cards this year (apart from closest family and friends), as just too sad to get into the spirit of it.

I don't expect everyone to know about my mum so had thought about putting a line in Facebook to say I wouldn't be sending cards this year, but don't know how to put it.

I don't really want to be saying .."because my mum passed away", or look like I am attention seeking. Is something like "due to our event sad circumstances, I have decided not to send xmas cards this year but wish all friends and family and happy and peaceful xmas?"

Does that look ok?
Thanks x

Dollyemi Mon 15-Dec-14 10:24:26

I'm so sorry you lost your Mum, I've been through it and it's incredibly tough. The second option is best, be prepared for replies to ask if you're ok/what happened etc. if this will upset you then you can maybe make a statement like "I'm sure you'll understand that i'm not sending Christmas cards this year but would like to wish everyone a happy and healthy festive season" or that you'd be making a donation etc. It might be a good way of getting the news to people who don't know, I found it easier for people to know than to see me in the street and ask "how's your mum?". You might get some people avoiding you as they don't know what to say, don't be offended, they just don't want to upset you by asking how you are. I've gone off on a tangent here, hope you can try and enjoy Christmas x

throckenholt Mon 15-Dec-14 10:28:05

I would put something like "too much going on at present, don't feel very festive, so probably won't get many cards sent. I wish all friends and family and happy and peaceful xmas"

Look after yourself.

GingerbreadPudding Mon 15-Dec-14 10:36:10

Could you perhaps post a message that doesn't reference your mum but says something like you wish everyone a very merry Christmas and this year you will be donating to a charity, maybe one close to your mums heart, as an alternative. Lots of people do this anyway so it wouldn't be so unusual. I personally really find sending Christmas cards a right old faff and would rather we all agreed never to do it again so I'm sure no one will mind at all.

I hope you manage a peaceful Christmas thanks

Storytown Mon 15-Dec-14 10:37:31

Do you need to say anything? Beyond closest friends, I don't think many people really know who their cards are from, so they probably won't notice and if they do, so many people are cutting back on cards they'll just think you're one of them.

Take care

mandywb Mon 15-Dec-14 19:38:04

Thank you - that's helpful x

bigbluestars Mon 15-Dec-14 19:58:01

mandy- so sorry for your loss. X.

I don't think you need to make any announcements o rgive excuses or reasons. You have a lot to deal with right now and taking care of yourself is top priority.
THe people you know and love won't mind one bit if they don't get a card, so please don't worry. THis doesn't really matter.
I hope you have a peaceful christmas.

elsabelle Tue 16-Dec-14 23:55:06

I am not sending any either OP. My mum died earlier in the year and this is my first Xmas without either of my parents and i am not in the festive mood at all. No tree, no cards, nothing. I haven't told anyone in advance they wont be getting a card, but pretty sure they wont be surprised or offended.

So sorry for your loss. I think everyone will totally understand. And if they dot then theyre probably not friends worth having anyway.

Hugs to you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now