Talk

Advanced search

Delayed grief and physical symptoms

(3 Posts)
BettyFriedansLoveChild Tue 04-Nov-14 13:40:13

Have anyone experienced physical symptoms relating to delayed grief? I lost my baby daughter at birth almost six months ago. I was a phd student at the time, and so wasn't eligible for any statutory maternity leave or related benefits. It seemed silly to take time off if I didn't have a baby to look after, so within three weeks I got back to writing my thesis, and handed it in a few months later. I then went straight from that to starting a part-time lecturing job. Basically, I think that I have somehow repressed my grief, and it's recently starting to manifest itself in very physical ways. I'm exhausted, nauseous, often shaking, my concentration is terrible and my ability to interact with other people (including my partner and daughter) is extremely poor. I'm able to hold myself together for the days that I am teaching classes, but then fall apart once I'm at home (when I'm supposed to be prepping my lectures). I have an appointment with my GP in a few days time, but can't see what help she will be able to realistically offer (other than anti-depressants, which i don't think I need as I am bereaved rather than depressed). Keen not to get signed off work as it is only a temporary contract and would like to maximise my chances of getting it renewed, but am starting to think that I am on the verge of not being able to hold things together anymore.

Allstoppedup Tue 04-Nov-14 13:42:31

No useful advice but I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hopefully someone wiser and better with advice will be along soon.flowers

BonaDea Tue 04-Nov-14 13:43:12

I don't have any direct experience, but I am sure your GP will be able to help. ADs aren't the only option. For example, she may be able to refer you for some counselling or other talking therapies. Have you made contact with SANDS at all? I know this is a fantastic charity, which greatly helped my friend when she lost her baby at birth - they will have support to offer and suggestions of where you can look for further help.

Good luck, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now