Talk

Advanced search

My Dad has died, i need to explain to a 2.5 yr old- i need help please.

(6 Posts)
cheesenpickle Tue 18-Feb-14 15:36:38

My darling Dad died 2 weeks ago. Im now back at home after doing all the funeral arrangements and then sorting out all the household finances for my mum (my Dad did everything) and trying to deal with my own grief. My son didn't come to the funeral but is aware that something is not right. We have told him Grandpa was poorly but nothing else as we didn't know what to say. I need to explain to him but have no idea where to start. I have some faith so am comfortable talking out heaven however I worried he's to young to grasp that and will ask to go there.
I would like a book but having looked at amazon they seem to be mainly about animals , will this be confusing for him?. Im also not sure if they are a bit old for him. Has any one got any recommendations and also experience of how to go about this. Many Thanks.

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 18-Feb-14 15:43:21

so sorry for your loss.
badger's parting gift is a good book.

Personally I go for the, you know x was very poorly, the Dr's did their best to help him but they couldn't make him better so he died. But we will always remember him and love him, approach.

It's hard. I kept it simple but answered any questions honestly but gently.

worldgonecrazy Tue 18-Feb-14 15:51:13

My daughter was a lot younger when her grandma died. We just told her that grandma's body got too tired to keep going and so grandma died and has gone back to the stars where we came from. Okay, our timing may be a few billion years out, but it gave her some comfort, was mostly scientific/non-religious without being too indepth and she is quite happy with it and understands why she can't see grandma any more.

I hope you are finding comfort in your faith at this sad time.

cheesenpickle Tue 18-Feb-14 18:44:35

Thankyou-i think I will get the book and then try a mixture of both your suggestions.

Pagwatch Tue 18-Feb-14 18:52:35

My DD was 2.
We did the 'you know grandad was very sick and old and although they tried the Doctors couldn't help him to get better. We are going to really miss him but he died and we won't see him anymore. We can talk about him and we will miss him but he has gone'

Dd asked questions very naturally. She came to dads funeral. I told her iwas very sad and we could cry if we wanted. It was fine.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Honestly . Be sad. Don't over think it. What you feel, what he will see, is natural.

TamerB Tue 18-Feb-14 19:01:39

It is very natural to children- it is adults who have the problem. Badger's parting gift is a good way in. Then just answer questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now