Talk

Advanced search

My parents are still alive, just don't to know me

(10 Posts)
oopsadaisyme Thu 09-Jan-14 23:20:51

Never have -

Quoteunquote Fri 10-Jan-14 12:48:13

How sad, why are you estranged?

Can you write a letter, you don't have to post it, sometimes writing down your feelings and thoughts really helps.

oopsadaisyme Fri 10-Jan-14 13:00:09

When they divorced (I come from a pretty much middle class family), they both wanted to concentrate on getting 'other partners' -

So I had to leave home at 16, and haven't wanted to know me since -

I have tried phoning, telling them about my beautiful DS's - everything -

Going through a breakup at present, and just wish I had parents who cared -

Quoteunquote Fri 10-Jan-14 18:56:01

How very lame of them, and very self-defeating.

Please do not think this is any reflection on you, you clearly are extremely capable because despite have family support you have a wonderful child and enjoy him.

Be really kind to yourself and give yourself lots of time, don't be hard on yourself because you feel you should be achieving something faster.

The only person who's option of you counts is yourself, so be really kind to yourself.

Save all your precious positive energy for yourself and your son.

I've never sent a hug on the internet before but I will make an exception for you. OOO here have three.

ssd Sun 12-Jan-14 20:40:37

and have a hug from me too (((())))

thats so awful about your parents, but nothing surprises me anymore, some people are just prize shits

you deserve better op, but if it isnt there, hug your little son and thank god the cycle has finished and he'll know his mum loves him xx

RandomMess Sun 12-Jan-14 20:42:06

Blimey talk about dysfunctional parents sad

You are entitled (and need to??) grieve for the parents you never had sad

alcibiades Sun 12-Jan-14 23:05:04

It is a kind of bereavement when you finally realise that you all had were male/female parental entities, rather than parents. So many people don't understand the need to grieve for what you never had, even though those genetic individuals are still alive.

oopsadaisyme Wed 19-Feb-14 18:16:47

Thanks for the hugs x

alcibiades - I hate to say it, but sometimes I do think it would have been better for me if my parents had actually died (I don't wish them dead, god forbid!) But I do grieve for them, in a sense - but now maybe just to have parents, not for the people they are -

As I get older, and think about the stuff said and done, I actually feel a bit sorry for them - I'd never, ever do that to my children, my boys are my whole world, whatever happens, and they know that - maybe I do overcompensate and cuddle a bit too much (but, hey, whoever complained about being 'overloved'!)

Oh yeah, my ex, who actually tried to use the 'you think to much about your children' in an argument the other day - er, I actually took that as a complement, so blah to his put down - he also uses 'your blue-eyed boys' etc -

I have two boys, my youngest is 4, (and his) so confident, so clever, sings and dances, can do sums, reads a little, just brilliant -

My eldest is 10, a little quieter in confidence, but very clever in history and maths - he has mates knocking for him daily and out on his bike, growing in confidence daily -

My pride and joy, and I can't help but think of my parents every day I grow prouder of them, and they didn't of me -

From the age of 5, if I did anything wrong, my dad used to make me stand infront of him and 'hold my hand out' - for two minutes i'd cry until I was slapped so hard I'd scream....

Looking back, how sad... for him

oopsadaisyme Wed 19-Feb-14 18:22:53

I have been through the care system briefly, from 14 - 16, that's another story though, thrown out, I have alot to say about fostering, alot of them don't deserve to foster, although I'm 34 now, I'm hoping times have changed....

EloiseintheSun Wed 19-Feb-14 23:55:40

Hi oopsa

Just read this thread. I agree totally that you should be very proud of yourself. You have made, with precious little help from elsewhere, a loving, nurturing family.
Of course you think about your parents everyday - I think about mine (though they're not around any more) - and I think you're incredibly generous to look back at your dad's cruelty and feel sorry for him.

If you wrote to your parents, setting out your thoughts, your regrets, your hopes, would that help you to draw a bit of a line under things until such time as they, for the first time ever perhaps, respond with something approaching regret and a willingness to make some kind of reparation?

Take care. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now