Talk

Advanced search

What can I put on my son's headstone?

(8 Posts)
bobbledog Tue 04-Oct-11 18:50:09

Nate died a year ago and I'm feeling like I want to (finally) organise a headstone for him.

I've found a memorial artist I really like but he needs the words before he can design the stone.

Any suggestions? I like the 'love like starlight' quote that caz used on the latest thread, but are there some other similar things, perhaps from children's books I could use?

ballstoit Tue 04-Oct-11 20:58:46

Hi Bobble. Sorry to hear about Nate x

My experience with choosing wording was for MIL with ex-H, so I wasn't as emotionally involved as you clearly are. Hope it's okay to offer my thoughts anyway...

- are there particular words, phrases, songs or books that are meaningful to you and have a link with Nate? I tell my DC that I love them 'more than the world, more than the universe', so that's something meaningful to us. MIL used to tell ex-H and his siblings that she 'kept them in her heart' when she wasn't with them, so we incorporated this on to the headstone.

- does Nate have siblings, or other family members who are likely to visit his grave in the future? We knew we were likely to have more children (and have done so), so chose not to mention the children by name. So, although the stone says 'loved mother of ex-H, BIl and SIL' it just says 'much loved Nanna' but doesn't give the grandchildren's names.

I love reading 'Guess How Much I Love You' with my children, the final line 'I love you to the moon, and back,' is one that I really like.

Hope these are useful ideas for you. I'm sure that whatever you choose will be beautiful, because it will be chosen with such love x

Bluetinkerbell Wed 05-Oct-11 13:34:26

Hi bobble I had to choose the wording for my daughter's memorial stone and have 'Love, like starlight, never dies' written on it. It was a reading at our wedding and at Sterre's funeral.

Google for children's headstone texts, and see what comes up
I hope you find the right wording as it is such a difficult thing to do!

Much love and strength.

gingegirl Sat 22-Oct-11 09:42:35

We chose " Nos da cariad" which is welsh for "Good night my love" just simple and an etching of a baby sleeping on a crescent moon holding a teddy bear. I just want to think of Oliver sleeping rather than being dead if that makes any sence x

lavandes Sun 23-Oct-11 00:53:23

We had Richard cremated, but have a plaque in a rose garden where we laid his ashes at the crematorium. It has his dates and 'Forever in our hearts' because that is where we know he is. xx

Wotnow Sun 23-Oct-11 01:13:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zeno Sun 23-Oct-11 13:32:34

There is a marvellous book published by Memorials By Artists which is all about children's memorials. If you're looking for ideas it's well worth getting hold of a copy. We are trying to find words too. Not making any progress so far. Good luck with your words.

VampiresWillNeverHurtGerardWay Sun 23-Oct-11 21:01:04

We chose 'In our arms a moment in our hearts forever'. I am also so sorry that you have lost your child. None of us would of ever believed that we would have to choose a headstone and the wording for our baby/child one day. You will find the right words though. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now