Talk

Advanced search

How can I help a friend through devestating news?

(10 Posts)
yummymummy345 Thu 08-Sep-11 23:13:03

I am so so sad to be writing this post. My close friend has had the most devestating news of stillbirth at 35 weeks. I cant imagine how you can come to terms with this. I have no idea how to try and ease her pain.I am sorry if you are reading this and you have experienced this tradgedy, I am wondering what has helped in this tragic circumstance?

thisisyesterday Thu 08-Sep-11 23:17:50

i am so sorry sad

sadly a friend of mine's little boy was stillborn at 41 weeks earlier this year, so I have been in your position.
There is no way you can ease her pain. Just be there for her. cook her some meals, do some laundry for her, just be with her if she wants to talk, or even if she doesn't..

Mylittlebubble Fri 09-Sep-11 05:07:09

Yummymummy She knows you are always there for her and always has been.

everlong Fri 09-Sep-11 14:00:09

So so sad. Just be there, to listen, to speak, to hold her hand.

yummymummy345 Fri 09-Sep-11 18:18:11

mylittlebubble x

TheConstantGardener Mon 10-Oct-11 15:16:14

offer any practical help, keep asking to help and be there to listen. x

thinNigella Tue 11-Oct-11 12:27:32

That is so sad, i'm sorry for your friend. www.achildofmine.co.uk may help you and her.

yummymummy345 Tue 11-Oct-11 19:44:20

thank you for your replies, wil look at the website Nigella ...

frasersmummy Tue 11-Oct-11 19:55:53

yummy I had a stillbirth at 39.5 weeks 7 years ago .. god how can it be that long??

anyway the best thing you can do is be there...phone, pop round , please dont be a stranger... your friend will probs want to hide from the world but if you just go and listen your friend will love you for it

if you want to take something take food that you can share... I was just passing and hadnt had my dinner, brought this pizza I thought we could share it .. or hey was out shopping and realised it was lunchtime, brought some sandwiches from m&s

There is nothing you can say to help her right now... but you sound like a lovely friend

one tip from my hubby .... remember he is a bereaved parent too

yummymummy345 Wed 12-Oct-11 18:47:18

Thank you everyone for taking the time to advise, my friend is being amazingly brave and strong in what she has described as being(obviously) the worst time in her life. You just cant put a price on our precious children and im so sorry you have been through this frasersmummy

Another friend sadly went through this same situation and she had said all the midwives etc gave her a hug (not the dad) and everyone kept asking him how my friend was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now