Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for public speaking

(3 Posts)
readywithwellies Wed 06-Jul-11 14:38:41

Thinking if speaking at my nans funeral. She was very special to me. I am used to speaking in public, just not when upset. I will decide if I think I can do it so just want to get advice on how not to get upset during the speech. Thanks

Snowdropbooks Wed 06-Jul-11 15:44:58

You will get upset but that's not so bad is it? Make sure you've written down what you want to say then arrange with someone to take over if you really can't carry on, they could stand with you to support. Certain words or images will set you off so try to avoid ones you are aware of. Talk about her life, the funny things she said and did, what she meant to you and how others saw her. Keep the difficult stuff for the end. Make the first two thirds light and fun. I say again you will get upset, don't fight it, keep going and have plan B to fall knack on in the shape of a friend, no one will think any the less of you at all if you do break down.

readywithwellies Wed 06-Jul-11 16:07:41

No I just want to be able for my voice to come out rather than sobs. My dp has said he will take over if needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now