Talk

Advanced search

Scattering ashes, how to go about it?

(6 Posts)
LisMcA Mon 20-Jun-11 17:02:44

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong topic, but i can't think of anywhere else to post. My FIL passed away earlier this month, he was only 64 and my MIL has taken it quite bad, as you would. She wants to scatter his ashes sooner rather than later.

My FIL was a stonemason all his life and hs been involved in restoring many castles in Scotland. MIL would like him to be scattered at one of these, as he was at his happiest when working on the castles. I've managed to find websites relating to 2 of the casltes, bioth of which are now wedding venues/holiday lets.

Obviously we wouldn't just turn up urn in hand and scatter his ashes willy nilly, but I haven't got a clue how to approach the owners. Both websites have email addresses,but I think this may be a phone call type question. How to you start that conversation?

Also I don't know if there are any laws against scattering ashes anywhere.

If anyone can offer any advice I'd be eternally grateful.

TIA

MayDayChild Mon 20-Jun-11 19:52:59

I think there are laws, I wanted to scatter ashes of my FIL on his baby grandsons grave in a cemetery. I questioned the council who refused me permission to do so. Something about not being safe to scatter human remains. Tho I cant quite remember exact reason.

We scattered him anyway whilst doing some gardening at the grave and also at his favourite beach in Cornwall. Quite furtively without an urn etc.

If the location is more important than the simple act of scattering, then just go ahead in your own private time and space.

LisMcA Tue 21-Jun-11 11:43:09

Thank you MayDay, we knew about not being allowed to scatter on a current grave, the undertaker told us.

MIL has been on asking if we can do it next weekend.

aristocat Fri 24-Jun-11 13:42:01

my dad wanted to be scattered in a nearby woodland, and so whilst arranging his funeral my mom and myself also obtained a certificate to allow us to do this (because it is in a different county to where i live)

perhaps your funeral directors would be able to help.

1944girl Fri 24-Jun-11 13:50:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meditrina Fri 24-Jun-11 14:00:11

Useful link here - the general rule is that you can, with the landowner's permission.

The National Trust for Scotland allows scattering and you need to agree a plan with the manager of the property (exactly where, and when) I dare say other castle owners would take a similar approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now