Talk

Advanced search

my dear dad died yesterday!

(16 Posts)
trace2 Sat 18-Jun-11 17:45:38

i lost my dear wonderful dad yesterday to the horrible lung cancersad , i miss him so much already i have looked after him now since mum died 7 half years ago, just dont know how to fill the gap in? its my sons 9th birthday today and am really struggling to be happy for himsad

ajandjjmum Sat 18-Jun-11 17:48:25

I am so sorry.

I've just come back from my Dad's grave - 8 years on and still miss him so much. But as time's gone by all of the good memories have been a huge comfort.

Your son is old enough to understand how difficult today is for you - hope he's got some extra hugs going. smile

sharbie Sat 18-Jun-11 17:49:51

sorry to hear sad news

roguepixie Sat 18-Jun-11 17:53:06

trace2 - so sorry for your loss.

boolifooli Sat 18-Jun-11 17:58:12

Sorry to hear about your dear Dad. Thinking of you.

Primalscream Sat 18-Jun-11 17:58:53

I'm so sorry - I lost my dad on new years day ( 2011) and I'm still coming to terms with it ( still cry ) - Tomorrow will be so hard as I'll be going to visit his grave rather than visit him as I always used to on fathers day.
It's my sons birthday on boxing day and I was struggling to make his birthday happy last year knowing my dad was dying / so I know exactly what you're going through - sending you love and strength xx

Sexonlegs Sat 18-Jun-11 18:03:10

Trace, I am so sorry about your Dad sad

I lost my wonderful Mum on New Years Eve and the loss is still heavy in my heart.

I hope you have someone looking out for you.

Take care
xx

JaneBennet Sat 18-Jun-11 18:04:54

So sorry to hear of your loss. Give your son some extra hugs today.

Avantia Sat 18-Jun-11 18:12:29

So sorry to hear that .

Have also lost my Dad just over a year ago and my Mum 4 yrs ago.

Your son will understand you loss - never underestimate children at times like this . My eldest was 9 when Dad past away and was a tower of strength.

Thinking of you x

trace2 Sat 18-Jun-11 19:33:41

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the kind words i just keep wanting to go and see him, i spent loads of time there last few weeks with him being ill. and all i can see is his is last few breaths i want to remember him before he was ill how do i block it out?

Shoesytwoesy Sat 18-Jun-11 19:37:04

so very sorry for your loss xx

ajandjjmum Sat 18-Jun-11 19:49:02

The next few weeks is going to be hard trace, but you will start remembering his laugh and smile, and it will start getting easier.

I hated the memory of my Dad dying, but I don't think about that now, I just think of the happier things - can even laugh now remembering his irritating habits!

Take care.

Sexonlegs Sat 18-Jun-11 19:55:20

Trace,

I know what you mean about remembering the illness and decline and the end of life; I still have flashbacks after 6 months.

I believe it is just a matter of time when those memories will go and the good ones will take over.

Love and strength to you.xx

OberonTheHopeful Sat 18-Jun-11 19:56:29

Hi trace2, so sorry for your loss sad. My dad died last year after a very long illness. I was with him when he died and for a while it was all I could think of but now I can look back and remember all of the joyful times I spent with him over the years. And yes like ajandjjmum chuckle at his (so very many) silly habits.

crispyseaweed Sat 18-Jun-11 20:03:45

Sending you heartfelt sympathies and hugs. My Dad nearly died in January but he has heart failure and is 83yrs so I have it all to come.
I am sure in time you soon start to come to terms about the loss of your Dad.
I hope you have family to share your loss, be around you; and know that your Dad is smiling down on you from up above. I really believe when our loved ones pass over to the spirit world they are still there around us; we just cant see them. They know what we are doing and still love us , as we do them.

kaumana Sat 18-Jun-11 20:19:28

Trace,

I was with my mum when she passed (two years ago today), I understand your feelings re the illness and being with your darling dad in his last moments.

Yes, I did get flashbacks too for a time but that will pass and gradually you will remember the happy times that you shared which will put a smile on your face rather than tears.

Take care xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now