Talk

Advanced search

Executor question

(5 Posts)
car80 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:16:59

How long would you wait before distributing funds. I believe all bills are paid and all credit balancs dealt with. Only potential debt is for council rent after date of death. How long would you give them to request this?
Also posted in legal.

carocaro Thu 09-Jun-11 19:56:27

whoose got the fund? a solicitor? has probate been granted?

car80 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:11:44

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I am one of the benef of my mum's estate so I am dealing with everything. Probate not needed as low value. I just don't know whether to make a partial distribution as some of the benef could do with the money. Don't want to contact council in case they have decided not to bother claiming rent.

sittinginthesun Thu 09-Jun-11 21:19:27

If you are certain the council is the only potential outstanding debt, then you can hold back enough to cover and distribute the rest.

Remember that executors are PERSONALLY liable for debts, unless they gave gone through certain procedures (notice etc), so you must make sure you hold back enough to cover any bills. Other that that, it is quite normal to make interim distributions. X

car80 Fri 10-Jun-11 09:49:26

Yes that bit is Scary. Thank you for that. I think I will hold onto enough to cover that and a little extra for now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: