Talk

Advanced search

daft comments said by others during bereavement period

(105 Posts)
earth1984 Mon 28-Mar-11 21:41:00

Just buried mum today. Was really strong throughout day. Upon returning home I gound tears trickling down whilst on computer. Dh noticed tears and said "What have you been watching?
Sure there are lots more like this.

sethstarkaddersmackerel Mon 28-Mar-11 21:43:22

I don't have any to add but so sorry about your mum. xxx

StealthPolarBear Mon 28-Mar-11 21:45:15

so so sorry

RiojaLover75 Mon 28-Mar-11 21:45:50

When a colleague of mine returned to work after the death of his dear father we went out for breakfast and I asked him if he still wanted his toast cremated blush.

He was very good and didn't say anything, I however was mortified as his father had been cremated a few days prior to that conversation shock

StealthPolarBear Mon 28-Mar-11 21:46:06

oh and in answer to your OP- pretty much anything that comes out of my mouth when I meet someone bereaved.
Did your DH not go with you to the funeral anyway?

earth1984 Mon 28-Mar-11 21:48:09

Yes he was great during day.

RiojaLover75 Mon 28-Mar-11 21:49:43

Well done on surviving the day Earth, so sorry for your loss sad

I'm sorry about your mum, too.
The day of dad's funeral I drove home dripping tears and was told a bit stroppily by teenage nephew, 'It's after the funeral now!'

Which actually would have made dad laugh.

But I didn't react very well.

BarkingHarriet Mon 28-Mar-11 22:02:40

Hi Earth, my sister and I have had a similar conversation about this as we "lost" Dad two weeks ago (we haven't lost him, we know exactly where he is, in the funeral home)

People keep saying "I'm so so sorry" and we feel like saying "why? Was it your fault", or "I don't know what to say (wail wail) I don't know what to say" ("well shut up and don't say anything then")

I know it's just people's way of dealing with it, but it seems particularly odd to us. Especially when we lost Mum in the supermarket, then laughed hysterically that we'd lost Mum but not lost her, we just didn't know where she was.

Thinking of you x

BarkingHarriet Mon 28-Mar-11 22:05:22

Sorry polar that wasn't meant to be a sarcastic reference to your comment blush

StealthPolarBear Mon 28-Mar-11 22:06:42

see
I only open my mouth to insert the other foot
wink

TigerFeet Mon 28-Mar-11 22:08:32

I was 18 when my dad died and after the funeral me and my mate went to the local park to smoke loads of fags get some air. We were harangued by a load of local idiots about how goths weren't supposed to be out during the day... to be fair to them (ish) they weren't to know that we were in black because we'd just been to a funeral and that normally we'd be all grungy and hippyish in cheesecloth and flowery skirts.... but still.

So sorry to hear of your loss. People do say mad things but try not to read anything into it, they're usually trying to think of something to say and failing to find anything constructive.

seb1 Mon 28-Mar-11 22:08:49

When my mum died, MIL was staying afterwards and my DDs were really struggling with everything and MIL suggested they go and watch "that TV program they like", Ghost Whisperer.

TigerFeet Mon 28-Mar-11 22:11:06

me too stealth it would seem!

BarkingHarriet Mon 28-Mar-11 22:27:40

Sorry blush

dyzzidi Mon 28-Mar-11 22:34:06

When I had my miscarriage Some well meaning neighour bought me a beautiful plant. Cue DH saying god knows why they have bought you a plant you cant keep anything alive!

I have to add Dh was on the other side of the world when i MC and flew overnight to be with me for the D & C and had been utterly amazing throughout the whole experience.

The same comment the week before would have been fine but oh my god he was upset when he said it.

I just laughed as I knew what he meant and as my mum was there I think if I had gotten upse she woud have given him the dressing down of his life.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss x

Heifer Mon 28-Mar-11 22:36:59

My 12yr old nephew stated to me as we were walking towards my mums grave that I was an orphan now...

Friend of my mums stated back at our house after the funeral, "that organic food didn't do her any good did it" (she had died of Bowel Cancer)...

Some people just don't think before they speak, or at least wait until after the funeral before making such crass comments.

TigerFeet Mon 28-Mar-11 22:40:17

No need to apologise BarkingHarriet - it is an odd thing to say isn't it? A perfect example of what this thread is about.

StealthPolarBear Mon 28-Mar-11 22:41:10

yes
and I genuinely do not know what to say to people who have been bereaved but I guess there's no stock answer, would would comfort one person would irritate another.

Pancakeflipper Mon 28-Mar-11 22:45:10

The day of the funeral of a very sweet neighbour, their nextdoor neighbours who didn't go to the service did appear afterwards to eat the egg sandwiches and sausage rolls that his wife prepared and have a nip of scotch. Then asked her if she'd sell her home to them so they could have more land. She frogmarched them out of her home to around of applause from everyone else.

StealthPolarBear Mon 28-Mar-11 22:45:43

shock

TheJollyPirate Mon 28-Mar-11 22:46:48

Sorry to hear about your Mum earth sad.

People don't always think before they speak.

When my beloved Nan died in 1996 at the age of 92 (which is a fab age I know), the number of times I heard "oh well it was a good age". I used to think "I don't give a shit if it;s a good age - it's my nan, I loved her to bits and she's just died so her being a good age doesn't matter to me"

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 28-Mar-11 22:58:01

Sorry about your mum Earth.

I met someone in the supermarket about two weeks after DD died. She said 'are you feeling better now?'

I got a kitten a few months later and the person selling it to me said 'oh you could name it 'DD's name'

I was in a shop and saw DD's friend's mum. I said hello and she said something like 'I was just going to leave before you saw me' I asked her why and she said 'well its just easier isnt it?' She then went on to tell me how wonderful her dd was because she wrote a poem about my DD. I felt like telling her that my DD never liked her DD much.

The one I hate most is 'she is in a better place now'. Fuck off is she.

There are more but I have had nearly five years of it. More people are lovely than are stupid though.

JaneS Mon 28-Mar-11 23:00:22

All sympathy, earth. sad

I have one that is a bit bad, but does make me smile. My granny was a very sharp-tongued old lady, who was still working part-time at 84. I was ringing round people to let them know she'd died and one of the ladies at her church launched into what was obviously her stock platitudes 'Oh, she was so lovely, such a sweet ..... [awkward silence] .... erm .... well, not sweet really ....not sweet at all...'

She sort of gulped for a while and realized she'd been horribly over-honest. But I liked it because I could just imagine my granny's face if anyone had called her 'sweet' and she would not have been impressed!

When my lovely cousin died of a very sudden heart attack, my university tutor responded to me telling him I was taking a day off for her funeral with 'Do you have to go? You do have an essay due in'. angry

madmouse Mon 28-Mar-11 23:19:46

The day after an early mc I dragged myself into work as I was worried that sitting at home would make it worse. Then a colleague announced her pregnancy and I struggled and could not concentrate. Decided to tell my boss, forgetting her people skills can be erm, interesting.

She said I should go to the doctor I said no thanks my body is doing what it's doing and it will sort itself out.

She then said go home and rest and I said no thanks I'd rather work as well as I can

she then said well then go home and make another baby

shock

I know her well and kinda laughed as this is typical. Did tell her the next day never to make that stupid comment to anyone else - ever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now