Talk

Advanced search

death after transplant

(12 Posts)
dutchmanswife Tue 28-Dec-10 15:47:12

I've put this here because I need some sympathetic responses.

My eldest daughter died in 1994 following a liver and kidney transplant for a genetic condition. I saw this news story in the Daily Mail and I feel like I've just been kicked in the stomach.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342175/Boy-4-chi ld-UK-joint-liver-kidney-transplant.html

I actually feel physically sick and so angry.

I know The Daily Mail isn't known for factual accuracy in its news reporting but I don't know why I feel so bad.

Should I complain and would it help.

DooinMeCleanin Tue 28-Dec-10 15:50:22

I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter and that this article has upset you more.

I have no idea whether it would help you to complain. I think only you can answer that.

BalloonSlayer Wed 29-Dec-10 15:59:01

sad for you. Your poor DD, and poor you.

Do you think this little boy might have had the first successful transplant, and they wanted to gloss over the sad stories and just present a 100% positive story, so they have presented it as the first, full stop?

IAmReallyFabNow Wed 29-Dec-10 16:03:01

I don't think it is a complaining issue as such. Why not contact them and tell them your story? There has been other stories like this. I remember one where a baby survived an ectopic pregnancy.

vinvinoveritas Sat 01-Jan-11 11:13:48

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Sat 01-Jan-11 11:17:04

I would contact them and simply tell your DDs story, pointing out their factual inaccuracy.

Samvet Sat 01-Jan-11 11:21:47

Contact the press complains commission.

dutchmanswife Sat 01-Jan-11 11:27:16

Thankyou for all your responses.

Vinvino, you've managed to articulate how I felt. It does feel like they are just 'wiping her off the planet'. So sorry to hear of your loss too.

I will do something, just not sure what. I need to think about what to do but the house is busy at the moment. When new year is over I'll have space to think.

vinvinoveritas Sat 01-Jan-11 11:35:58

Message withdrawn

Clary Sat 01-Jan-11 11:41:08

I would definitely contact the Daily Mail.

To be fair, they were undoubtedly given the info about "first child" etc by medical staff and I am sure you can see it would be difficult to check.

But I am sure they would be happy to tell your story if you were willing to give it, or at any rate print a correction of some kind to make it clear - and avoid the error being picked up again.

I am speaking as a former journalist myself btw. Mostly they (we!?) do the best they can but some sources have to be taken on trust.

I am so sorry for your loss OP and hope you can get something positive out of this, maybe giving info about yr DD's condition.

vinvinoveritas Sat 01-Jan-11 11:44:58

Message withdrawn

ivykaty44 Sat 01-Jan-11 11:51:20

i wouldn't contact the dm, because of there ways it would or could lead to more heart ache.

I havn't clicked on the link but get the gist of the story from the posts, i refuse to click on the link as the dm is awful as a paper for various reasons and they know that the complaints commision has no real power unless you have millions in the bank, so they print whatever they want.

Leave a comment for the readers under the article, then at least the piece will be read by other readers of this paper and they will know the truth from you and you can hopefully have some peace from that fact and dignity for your child sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now