Advanced search


(94 Posts)
redkaybee Wed 12-Dec-12 03:09:20

Quick question on the controversial topic of vaccinations. I suggested to my gp I would like to consider a delayed vaccination schedule for my daughter. After the 5 in 1 she was inconsolable and now suffers reflux. I do want to vaccinate but not so many all at once. The Ho consulted with st thomases children's hospital and was apparently advised against a spread out schedule so I have been told follow the nhs schedule or I must go private for an alternative schedule. Is there anyone out there in london who has managed an alternative vacc schedule from an nhs gp?
Many thanks in advance

redkaybee Wed 12-Dec-12 03:10:52

Oops didn't check for mistakes. 'Ho' should read 'gp' and no it wasn't a Freudian slip!

ZuleikaD Wed 12-Dec-12 06:25:40

The reflux is unlikely to be connected to the vaccination, it's probably just coincidence.

Cupcakemummy85 Wed 12-Dec-12 08:21:34

This is so interesting because my dd was the same after her one year jabs. It was awful, like they injected her with a whole new personality. 5 in 1 is sometimes a bit too much for some children in my opinion. She was sort of back to normal after six weeks but my husband is considering going private too. Id be interested to know if u manage to find a suitable clinic. smile

Welovecouscous Wed 12-Dec-12 08:27:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sashh Wed 12-Dec-12 08:29:06

Well go along with the NHS schedule but when it is time for the jab phone the GP and say "Sorry dc has a fever" and then keep doing it.

redkaybee Wed 12-Dec-12 09:59:06

Baby jabs is where the alternative schedule came from. Unfortunately their jabs are over £100 each and that is prohibitive for me (single mum with no income at present) I was hoping my nhs gp would follow this schedule as I am only asking for nhs vaccines just in a spaced out order but they have refused. Daughter has had 2 jabs already started her late and managed to wangle them separately. She is now 4 months old. Of I keep calling saying she has a fever when do I stop doing that?

ZuleikaD Wed 12-Dec-12 11:16:19

As long as she's had all her whooping cough jabs. There's an epidemic at the moment.

bruffin Wed 12-Dec-12 11:23:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ZuleikaD Wed 12-Dec-12 11:30:08

I am so happy that's true - I'd heard it but I wasn't sure. So - scaring parents into forking out £100 per jab. Probably makes a mint.

Welovecouscous Wed 12-Dec-12 12:05:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sh77 Wed 12-Dec-12 12:17:21

I delayed and spread out all vaccs

sh77 Wed 12-Dec-12 12:19:23

Oops sorry pressed send too soon. I delayed and spread them out On nhs with no problem. The nurse was fine with it and did not question my choice.

bruffin Wed 12-Dec-12 12:21:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stargirl1701 Wed 12-Dec-12 12:30:48

Our LO was the same. Reflux diagnosed following 8 week vaccination. I went ahead with the 12 week vaccination. She got a rash after that. These seem like normal things to me though. I wouldn't choose to delay vaccination unless she had had a serious allergic reaction. If she had stopped breathing then I would've reconsidered. The risk of death or disability from tetanus, diphtheria, polio, whooping cough, meningitis, influenza, pneumococcal, etc. much higher than the risk of vaccination IMO.

redkaybee Wed 12-Dec-12 12:53:58

Hi thanks for the responses - i understand it to be a controversial topic. I'm not really looking to open the vaccination/ non vaccination debate.I understand there is a whooping cough outbreak. I understand there has been a recent measles outbreak. I understand thimerosal was only removed from vaccinations in recent years. I understand the 5 in 1 vaccine was only introduced in 2004. I have done a lot of research. I am asking if people have managed to find gps within the london area who have agreed to space out vaccinations.
Many thanks in advance.

sh77 Wed 12-Dec-12 15:14:21

no need to go private. the nhs vaccination schedule is not law. i cant see how a gp can refuse. i deliberately delayed and spaced out but the spacings became even wider as ds was teething or ill for a number of weeks. just book them in when you want to have them done. where in london are you?

bruffin Wed 12-Dec-12 15:22:15

As others have said just make the appointment when you want it done, dont waste money on places like babyjabs.

radicalsubstitution Wed 12-Dec-12 16:04:52

If I understand the concerns redkaybee has, it's not about timing the vaccinations, but more about not having all the scheduled vaccinations in one go.

Thus, if you say 'DC has a fever, I need to cancel' then all you are doing is shifting all the vaccinations backwards - not just one or two. This sort of defeats the object really?

Whilst I am sure you have done lots of research, there really is no scientifically reliable evidence that multiple vaccinations in one go cause any more severe a reaction than single vaccinations on their own. Everyone knows someone whose DC had a hideous reaction following a vaccination, but there is no evidence that the number of vaccinations given in one go is the actual cause.

Also remember that a single dose of the PCV vaccine in itself is protecting against 17 different types of pneumococcus.

notcitrus Wed 12-Dec-12 17:29:42

Your baby will be exposed to way more types of antigen in the doc's waiting room than the five in the vaccine! Your immune system reacts to thousands of antigens a day - five rather than one or three is nothing.
All the research suggests that the number of adverse events after jabs is no more than before them, but it's in our nature to look for possible causes, ie anything that happened recently that sounds plausible.

incywincyspideragain Wed 12-Dec-12 22:52:37

There is nothing wrong with delaying your babies vaccincies - vaccination in the UK isn't mandetory and you still have free, informed choice.
Your GP will get paid for each vaccination whenever they give them.
Do what you think is best for your baby not what everyone thinks on here.

redkaybee Thu 13-Dec-12 04:21:18

Hi sh77 I am in stockwell sw8. I have been with the same surgery for 8 years and am currently looking for a different surgery. I was under the impression vaccination is by choice. (There are severe immune diseases on both sides of the family and seeing my daughters immediate physical reaction to the 5 in 1 , which she is still experiencing now , makes me recognise just how potent these jabs are.) each child is different. I should be able to make a clear informed decision. This topic is controversial - for a reason . Information is biased / not readily available - for a reason. I am not refusing vaccines - we live in a large city. I am doing what I see fit for my daughter considering her history. I just cannot comprehend why the surgery would alienate in this way.

bruffin Thu 13-Dec-12 08:10:04

Your gp has taken the time to consult St Thomas for advice, doesn't sound like are doing anything to alienate you.
The only thing seem to have done wrong is give you different advice to what you want to hear.
As said above they are not going to refuse to vaccinate if you make an appointment late.
The information is very readily available just look on pub med or google scholar.

bruffin Thu 13-Dec-12 08:17:11

I can't link but Google the IOM
Vaccines adverse events and casualty.
It has looked at all the research available on side effects of the various vaccines.

bruffin Thu 13-Dec-12 08:20:15

Adverse events and causuality

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now