Talk

Advanced search

he/his and she/hers

(9 Posts)
karen1806 Thu 18-Aug-05 22:07:22

My 3.2yr old Ds has pretty good speech but still says he/his for males and females and has done this for a long time.We don't correct him but just repeat his sentence back using the correct pronoun. I'm not worried because I know it will come in time. I'm just interested whether your child does this or whether they used "he" and "she" from the start.

Hulababy Thu 18-Aug-05 22:09:17

Dd is 3y4m and has really good language/vocab. She also mixes up his/her/she/he too. We do the same as you. She is getting better, but I guess it is something they just learn gardually.

Jimjams Thu 18-Aug-05 22:09:49

ds2 doesn't have a clue (and I do correct him ) He's 3 and a half, has a SALT looking after him at the moment a lot who has commented (a lot) on how mature his speech is. Sure its fine.

pesha Thu 18-Aug-05 22:30:51

Dd has always been very good talker, has huge vocab, talks very clearly and absolutely non stop! She's 4y9m now, i cant remember exactly when it was but pretty sure it wasn't until nearing 4 that she finally got the hang of it and it did come quite gradually. I think she got he/she before she got him/her.
I remember her talking bout all the people she knows and watching people on tv and discussing whether they're a he with a willy or a she with a mini!!

nooka Thu 18-Aug-05 22:31:10

My dd did this too. In fact she did it for ages and ages. I think she's stopped now! She's coming up 5 and otherwise has excellent speech.

nooka Thu 18-Aug-05 22:32:46

Interestingly she is very very gender orientated, and always has been. Very girly, and will tell other children what they should be doing as a boy/girl. Get's very upset if asked to pretend to be a boy (like Shrek for example)

fqueenzebra Fri 19-Aug-05 00:00:42

i know a 5yo boy (will be 6 in October) who still says "she" for everybody. They don't really get why it matters....

I think DS1 was 4.5yo when he got the difference... DD (almost 4yo) is also very gender-oriented (constantly identifying who is a boy, who is a girl) and she also says "she" for everybody.

karen1806 Fri 19-Aug-05 08:02:43

Thanks for all your replies. Glad to know he will grow out of it eventually! The development of speech is such an interesting subject. He is my third child but I can't remember whether the others did it or not!

mumtosomeone Fri 19-Aug-05 08:09:17

think this is pretty standard!
I was often calle Uncle by my nephew!!!
They dont get the gender thing!!!
My ds has just called me his big man as i called him my little man!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: