Talk

Advanced search

5.5 year old bed wetting out of nowhere

(5 Posts)
2plus2more Wed 07-Jul-10 11:13:41

So my 5.5 year old son has been dry & clean during the day for over 3 years and dry & clean at night for almost 2 years. Since we took him out of nappies at night he has had 2 accidents and they were both fairly early on in the process - at least 18 months ago. Since then he has been absolutely fine.

He only drinks milk at dinner time (usually around 5.30pm/6pm) and always goes to the toilet before bed (usually around 7pm). If he needs to go to the toilet during the night he gets up and goes. No bother. In the morning he gets up and goes to the toilet first thing before anything else. (He usually wakes at around 7.30am, although during the hols it would be closer to 8am often)

2 weeks ago we were away on holiday and he wet the bed. We put it down to the fact he had been drinking more than normal as it was hot, he'd had dinner later with juice rather than milk, and he was extra tired.

Last night however he wet the bed again - no, let me re-phrase that - he soaked the bed! He'd had a totally normal day, a normal amount to eat and drink and a normal bedtime. There had been no arguments/telling off during the day, he was in a happy relaxed mood and there is nothing in particular happening in the next few weeks to make him worried.

He starts school in August, but that is still 7 weeks away, and it hadn't even been mentioned yesterday - he's excited abut school anyway and is a very confident child so I really wouldn't think it was anything to do with that. I am also pregnant at the minute (with twins), but again - not due until September and it hadn't even been mentioned yesterday.

Anyone else experienced this - bed wetting out of nowhere with no obvious "triggers"?

How did you deal with it?

We had to move him to a different room on an airbed as his mattress was wet too, and his 2 year old sister really needed to get back to sleep. I haven't mentioned it at all this morning as I know that telling him off for it isn't the answer, but I really don't know what is.

loves2walk Wed 07-Jul-10 11:40:43

Firstly I would get yourself one of those waterproof layers that you put over the sheet then sling in the wash if there is an accident. I have a few and they're really useful as there is so little fuss after an accident and the mattress is totally protected. Think I got one delivered through maman bebe or similar.

He has been dry for so long so I am sure it will only be a short phase and nothing to worry about. He is still young and going through most nights dry at his age is great. However you did mention 2 big changes that he is about to go through. You can never be sure of the impact of new siblings in the family or big school starting on a little person. It may affect him in little ways like this until the change actually happens and I wouldn't worry about it - it doesn't mean he is distressed about these changes, just that they may occasionally alter his sleep pattern for the next few weeks.

We moved house 2 yrs ago and my DS1 started bed wetting, just very occasionally, here and there in the months leading up to the move. It was upsetting for him as he was 7 then and he would cry when it happened, but it passed as soon as the move had started.

Just reassure him that sometimes little bodies don't work as well as they should, and his little body just had an accident but that he'll be fine tonight. If you show him that you're really not phased at all, that will be reassuring for him

womblingfree Thu 08-Jul-10 00:47:59

I had exactly the same thing with my daughter in the few months before she started primary school last year.

Firstly it may be a one off (urine infection,hot weather) - evidently it's completely normal for children up to the age of about 7 to regress with bedwetting for no physical or psychological reason.

If it does continue - have a look at this website:

www.eric.org.uk/AboutERIC/WhatisERIC/tabid/76/Default.aspx

My daughter's problem has continued on and off for the best part of a year as she has adjusted to primary school. It was incredibly frustrating as she was effortless to potty train and dry at night before the age of three.

After several trips to the doctor to rule out infections etc, I took some of the advice from the website above (you need to go to the 'parents' section and click on downloadable resources), mainly restricting fizzy and citrus drinks, particularly later on in the day. I also tried the neuro-linguistic programming techniques recommended for older children as DD is fairly advanced for her age.

At its worst we had wet beds 5 or 6 nights a week - now (touch wood!) it's a couple of times a month.

PS - if you get two lots of waterproof bedding and layer them on top of one another - all you have to do is pull the wet one off - no need for remaking the bed in the middle of the night!!!

Diamondlover Thu 08-Jul-10 01:07:44

I am experiencing the same thing with my 5 year old too over the last month. She has been dry at night for over 18months. Out of daytime nappies at just 2 years old.

She starts school soon also but appears excited. She finds it hard to display her emotions but says she has no worries etc.

We have limited drinks after dinner, toilet before bed & even get her up to pee before we go to bed. She is wet now 2/3 nts per week & often wet when we go to bed at 11pm.

I am so worried that she has things on her mind making her anxious but she won't tell me!

She also gets upset after one of these accidents.

jonpatdav Fri 15-Jul-16 17:26:22

Our 5 year old daughter has started bed wetting out of nowhere and has now started peeing herself when awake as she cant get to the toilet on time.I am quote concerned although she is happy and assures us she is not under any stress/had a bad day/is fighting with a friend/is getting into trouble at school etc......

any practical advice would be appreciated
worried Dad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now