Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

14 months - cruising but won't stand alone....

(6 Posts)
swiperfox Wed 17-Aug-05 21:14:48

Has any one else got one of these lazy-boys??! DS is 14 months now and just refuses to stand by himself. He has no trouble cruising and can walk across the room with a push along walker, but if I try to stand him up he just falls straight to his bottom and crawls off!! If I catch him out he will stand for a couple of seconds and then realise what he's doing and bump himself onto his bottom, laugh and crawl off.
I had hoped he'd be running around by now!!!

LIZS Wed 17-Aug-05 21:17:53

ds was similar, learnt to walk first and then stood on his own. Could use a brick trolley by 10 months but didn't walk alone until almost 14 months.

piffle Wed 17-Aug-05 21:19:57

think my dd has the world record for cruising. She started at 10 mths and finally walked alone at the grand old age of 25 mths!
Now nearly 3 she gallops everywhere
When they're ready, my dd is super cautious, she likes to know how to get off, before she gets on, how to close it before she opens it and so on and so on...

Caththerese1973 Sun 21-Aug-05 07:29:48

He WILL walk, so don't worry. By the way, is he especially 'advanced' in other areas, as sometimes this can make a difference. I read about a 17 month old girl who could talk in sentences but could not stand up by herself. The paediatrician said such situations were not unusual. Vice-versa, children who are very early walkers are sometimes later talkers.
I would only 'investigate' if he still wasn't walking, or nearly walking, by 20 or so months. Not that this means there is anything wrong, but if his walking is super-delayed he might have muscle tone or co-ordination issues that he could be helped with.

francis Mon 22-Aug-05 13:09:50

My DS is now 16mths, he never crawled or shuffled along on his bottom. He started walking but only with having both hands held at 12mths, walked holding 1 hand and started cruising at 13mths. He's only just started shuffling along the floor and pulling himself up onto his feet, he can walk now but only if he's walking towards someone! We're getting there but very slowly! I was told not to worry until he's 18-20mths.

hunkermunker Mon 22-Aug-05 13:12:54

DS is 16mo and only just starting to stand by himself. Walking's a way off, I think

My mum said she didn't walk till she was 18mo and someone rather reassuringly said to her mum "Don't worry, she probably won't be a cripple"! She's not, btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now