Talk

Advanced search

Wet bed every night!

(19 Posts)
HelenEmjay Mon 15-Aug-05 16:27:15

Please someone tell me where im going wrong! my 5 year old still wets the bed most nights, he has been wearing bed nappies so far but every time we try and take him out of them he wets the bed, despite us making sure he 'goes' before he gets into bed and we wake him up to go when we go to bed at 10.30 ish, he still wakes up in the morning and informs us he's wet the bed again! what am i doing wrong? shouldnt he be dry by now at night?????

trace2 Mon 15-Aug-05 16:28:21

have you talked to health vistor

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 16:31:51

Think they wouldn't worry medically until he was 7.

spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 16:32:28

My 3.5 year old does this. He's now started taking off his night nappy so that he can wee in the bed. Grrrrrrrrr!
The bizarre thing is he stopped wearing nappies really early and was completely out of them for about nine months. Now he's weeing again every night.

Sorry, no help but sympathies.

QueenOfQuotes Mon 15-Aug-05 16:33:42

Helen - if it's any consolation DS1 (5 in september) has point blank refused to wear nappies in bed since the middle of June (2 months ago) since them, despite limiting evening drinks, waking up to wee at 10.30ish and lots of bribes/encouragment etc etc we've had 4 dry nights in 2 months

We're perserveering because the mear mention of nappies sends him into hysterics!

mumtosomeone Mon 15-Aug-05 17:19:46

I still wet the bed at 5
I didnt know I needed to pee!!!
I never have the feeling of wanting to go am always desperate straight away even now!!!

Caligula Mon 15-Aug-05 17:22:58

My DS still wets the bed at 6.

It's a bore. But not a worry. Eneuresis is a lot more common than people think. They usually grow out of it by their teens. (I really hope it's long before then though!)

cleverclogs Mon 15-Aug-05 17:47:04

hi, my ds (now 6) still wets the bed (floods it actually) He's really keen to get out of pull ups (so are we, v expensive) but gets disheartened when he doesn't have a dry night, which is about 50-50 at the moment.

Would love to know how we can help him, as it does worry him

Milliways Mon 15-Aug-05 17:47:32

This is copied from a previous post of mine:

I had 5 then 6 then 7yrs as a goal. At 6 the school nurse said he could go to clinic at 7. He was 7 in the August & started clinic in Sept, was home & dry by Christmas.

I think a few factors were involved
1) He REALLY wanted to be dry - cub camp, sleepovers etc. Got v.embarrassed if anyone saw the Dry-Nite packet.
2) The clinic made him want to report good news. They worked on a sticker chart & we choose the rewards. First was a new pair of PJ's, final one was a sleepover. NB, we made our own really snazzy chart with NO reference as to what it was for in case a friend saw it.
3) Drinking more. We cut out ALL fizzy for a while, treats allowed before 4pm on weekends only. Almost forced him to drink more at breakfast, before school, break time, lunch time, on the way home and up to tea time then NO MORE. This expands the bladder - makes things worse for the first few days though.,
4) No more Dry-Nite pants. Apparently if they are aware they are on, they are less likely to wake.
5) No lifting to loo when we went to bed - bladder has to learn to cope.
6) In the day, when he needed the loo - WAIT. Get used to feeling the need to go so it can wake them at night. When cannot wait, COUNT TO 10 at the loo before going (v.difficult for a boy!).
7) Get them to help change the bed. No malice involved, just becoming part of it. Good practice anyway.
8) remind them at least one other child in their class will have same problem.

Try the ERIC website

Good luck!

PS - our eneurisis clinic will now see 6yr olds.

cod Mon 15-Aug-05 17:48:08

Message withdrawn

cleverclogs Mon 15-Aug-05 17:55:04

interesting advice to remove the pull ups. When he's wet, it does wake him up, might be that this will eventually encourage his brain to recognise the need to go to the loo.

very rarely have fizzy drinks, although he tends to forget to drink enough water during the day and then has a large drink at night.

We have been lifting him however, as thought it might help but may try to let him be.

Thanks girls, will let you know how we get on.

Katemum Mon 15-Aug-05 18:11:00

My very nearly 5 yo is still not dry. Have been increasing fluids during the day and after reading this will start to delay him running to the loo.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 15-Aug-05 18:15:32

I wouldnt worry yet.... I was still wetting the bed til the age of 11. Not every night, but most nights until i was about 8.

I have very weak bladder control as an adult too and have to go as soon as i get the urge.

spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 19:52:39

It's worth putting a couple of terry nappies and pinning them on, then those extra large plastic pants. Then they'll feel the wetness, but your sheets will be saved.
I think modern disposables make life a little too comfortable for the persistent bed wetter.

tigi Mon 15-Aug-05 20:37:13

Really interesting post from Milliways, thanks. My son goes in phases (nearly 6), wet every night or none at all for weeks, and thankfully we are ok at the moment. I just try not to give late drinks. We are having a very good spell at the moment, and the only other thing I am doing 'different' is having no processed /frozen food, and this too has been a good few weeks now.

Caligula Mon 15-Aug-05 20:53:09

My DS has iron bladder control in the daytime - he'll go for hours without using the loo and I have to force him to go because he'll leave it until the very last minute when he'll have to rush or it'll be an accident. So theoretically, his bladder ought to be used to holding it at night.

I use washable nappies, mainly because they're much cheaper, but also because I also figured that maybe the modern nappies are too bed-wetter friendly.

starlover Mon 15-Aug-05 21:00:59

i agree with the others who say not to worry yet.
my brother wet the bed until he was around 13, so did my mum.
there was no point in using star charts etc etc as he just could not control it
went through a phase of using a horrible buzzer which went off when it got wet. he slept through it.
doctors tried everything, but nothing worked... eventually he just grew out of it

roisin Mon 15-Aug-05 21:06:40

HelenEmjay - be as patient as you can. DS1 was almost 5 before he was dry, and went from sopping wet EVERY night to stone dry EVERY time literally overnight.

With ds2 I determined to be patient, and said I wouldn't worry until he was 6 ... but his sixth birthday came and went, but shortly afterwards he started having some dry nights. Now (6+3 months) he is wet very rarely; the last time was about 3.5 weeks ago

HelenEmjay Tue 16-Aug-05 18:00:30

Milliways thats a good load of ideas thanks! im not too worried, but i think he is maybe a little embarassed about the fact that he wets the bed, as he doesnt always tell me, and when he does he goes all embarassed (bless him) so i think he would feel better himself if we could sort it out, i have made him aware that other kids in his class at school do it, and its not a big deal, but he still feels silly i think! im glad he's not on his own though, i was thinking that maybe he was a little old to be wetting the bed still but obviously its pretty normal, i dont know much about this sort of thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now