Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dd has started calling me by my name..........

(33 Posts)
swiperfox Thu 11-Aug-05 17:42:27

instead of Mummy!!!!

It sounds really strange!! Anyone else's do this or has she decided to divorce her parents already??!

lockets Thu 11-Aug-05 17:44:54

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Thu 11-Aug-05 17:45:42

When dd started doing this, I started calling her Daughter instead of her name. It stopped her doing it pretty quickly once she realised why I was doing it.

When you think about it, it's hardly surprising that they do this - the only name they hear anyone else call you directly is your name, not Mummy.

lalaa Thu 11-Aug-05 17:47:33

yes, mine does. she thinks it's funny and I do too! chill!

nutcracker Thu 11-Aug-05 17:48:31

My dd2 did this too and I just ignored it, if i responded then she did it even more.

Hattie05 Thu 11-Aug-05 17:48:37

My dd goes through phases, she does this more with her dad than with me(because i use his name more, whereas he's quite good at calling me mummy in front of dd).
she does the Mum thing to- not that does sound weird coming from my 2.6year old baby!

CarolinaMoon Thu 11-Aug-05 17:55:57

I did this as a kid apparently (too small to remember it). My dad said "that's mummy and daddy to you, young lady" and I never did it again. What an easily-managed child I was...

milosmum Thu 11-Aug-05 18:37:21

my Ds did this from 3 until he was 4... dont know why he did it, and he just stopped- no explanation. He never did it to DH or his nanna ....

hes now gone back to mummy- but adds my name just to be cheeky sometimes..

i found the more i correct him- the more he thinks its funny...

Tortington Thu 11-Aug-05 18:40:33

i just ignored it - dont answer to it.

jennifersofia Thu 11-Aug-05 18:48:10

My 4.5 yr old does it regularly with me and with dh, as well as calling us mummy and daddy. I don´t mind really, I think it is natural as that is what they hear everyone else call us. Don´t see a problem with the experimentation of it.

purpleturtle Thu 11-Aug-05 19:19:44

Definitely a phase, but I did notice that having a little person shout your name at you a lot in the demanding kind of way they have is a lot more trying than when they use 'Mummy'. Somehow, just being reminded that I'm Mummy provides extra patience.

TwinSetAndPearls Thu 11-Aug-05 19:21:36

My dd does this every now and again and thinks its hilarious. As with most things child related, ignore it and it will go away.

spidermama Thu 11-Aug-05 19:22:41

MIOne did this for a while. It's because they hear others doing it. It only lasted a couple of months.

Lonelymum Thu 11-Aug-05 19:27:10

Mine did this for a while. I didn't mind it although I am not a trendy mum who wants her children to call her by her name. I guessed (correctly) that it was just a phase, although, every now and again, one or other of my children will call me or dh by our first names.

Ericblack Thu 11-Aug-05 19:37:47

My friend's two little boys used to call her by her first name. 6 months later they're calling her by a short version of it. A bit scarey.

FionaJT Thu 11-Aug-05 21:23:35

My nephews (aged 7 and 9) call both their parents by their names, although the younger one especially uses Mum and Dad quite a bit too. They just started of their own accord a few years ago, and neither parent ever objected so it has just carried on.

Tommy Thu 11-Aug-05 21:38:30

my nephew used to do this! His teacher told him not to when he went to school which my sister was a bit annoyed about - she quite rightly said that it's not up to the teacher to decide what he should call his Mum!
He calls her Mum now and he's 18

bigdonna Thu 11-Aug-05 21:47:36

my kids only do this when i tell them im changing my name!my dd has a friend at school who calls her parents by their first names.

Blu Thu 11-Aug-05 21:52:31

Umm, do people find this upsetting or 'wrong' then? they hear other people calling you by your name, they are experimenting. DS had a spate of calling me by the 'pet' name DP has for me - it was quite funny. But now he has finshed trying things out, he feels most comforted by the exclusivity of 'Mummy'.

LeahE Thu 11-Aug-05 21:54:08

I started doing that at that age and it stuck -- my parents never objected and my younger siblings and I all call our parents by their first names. There's no theoretical reason why not, but I'm going to stick to Mummy and Daddy with DS. Causes too much confusion otherwise.

Monstersmum Thu 11-Aug-05 21:54:18

Mine does it sometmes - usually when he hears lots of others calling me by my name - natrual really I suppose. I think it's funny but do remind him that it's Mummy to him!

But even that seems strange as I'm Irish and we are usually "Mammy". But at least Mummy is better than Mom which I get sometimes too!!

swiperfox Thu 11-Aug-05 21:56:47

It doesn't upset or bother me, it just sounded really strange after calling me Mummy all the time to suddenly hear her shouting at me "Heather!!" or worse, "Hev!!"

colditz Thu 11-Aug-05 21:59:56

My son does this when we have been with other people's children are seeking my attention.

littleshebear Fri 12-Aug-05 12:53:23

My eldest son used to call me by my first name most of the time - I can't say I was bothered at all by it. He usually called his grandparents by their first names too - and his auntie. I don't know why - he's always been a big talker and loved talking to adults - perhaps it was something to do with imitation of how adults talk to each other. It definitely wasn't being cheeky or attention seeking - very matter of fact. Funnily enough reading this thread has made me realise he calls me mum most of the time now - he's now 12 and I wonder whether it's more important to him now to conform with his peers. My other children always call me mum and have never used my first name at all.

liandme Fri 12-Aug-05 13:04:44

before i met my dp my dd used to go up to fellas and say hi i am aaliyah-may and this is my mum clare i used to die but she thought it was funny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now