Talk

Advanced search

19mth old 'words'

(11 Posts)
CarlyP Mon 08-Aug-05 14:44:05

my son is 19mths old. he babbles, says mummy, daddy, shoes, fish, car, book, bob, tom, hiya, ta, byeeee!! and a few others.

however at his 2yr chk she said his vocabulary wasnt as it should be.

anyone got any help or similar experiences?

thanks

carly

Nemo1977 Mon 08-Aug-05 14:45:18

how can a 2yr check be done at 19mths there is a whole 5mths difference in developmewnt..he sounds fine to me

CarlyP Mon 08-Aug-05 14:46:32

i said the same thing to her! she said they are just rough dates!! but 5mths makes alot of difference.

i think he is fine and saying alot more than my sisters boy was at this age.

thanks

carly

handlemecarefully Mon 08-Aug-05 14:48:35

I think it's about 50 words by 2 years old as a guide - but he isn't 2 years old he is 19 months!!!

Think the HV is being a bit premature in her assessment to be perfectly honest!

I remember dd saying only a handful of words by this stage, but then rapidly picking up pace and adding words to her vocablory from about 21 months onwards. Some time around 2.3 she was doing very short sentences.

My 16 month old says only: Mumma, Dadda, bye, all gone and "uh oh"

I realise he is 3 months younger than your ds, but then your ds is 5 months younger than the benchmark that he is being measured against!

Nemo1977 Mon 08-Aug-05 14:49:03

just dont worry my ds is 21mths and talks like a teletubbie for most of his worfs the point is he expresses himself and is understand but also comprehends a lot

Blu Mon 08-Aug-05 14:49:21

5 months makes a lot of difference, and in our area, they don't do the two-year check until they are 2.5 at least 'to make sure that they pass'!!!

If he is saying words, and his vocabulary continues to grow, he's fine! Just keep enjoying talking to him about everything that you do, and looking at books together.

nailpolish Mon 08-Aug-05 14:50:41

5 months is LOADS of time when you are 2 yrs old. was it your hv? she sounds like she is being ott if you ask me. did she request you took ds along at 19mths for his 2 yr check? tell her you want him rechecked at 24 mths

i bet he is fine by then

i actually think thats fine for a 19mth old, i wouldnt worry if i was you

madmarchhare Mon 08-Aug-05 14:52:29

SoundS OK to me. My DS is 20 mos and only saying a few other things, animal noises etc..

Has she asked to see him again at 2yrs?

throckenholt Mon 08-Aug-05 14:53:04

none of my 3 boys said anything like that much at that age. At 4 and 2.5 they are now all chatterboxes and I think fairly advanced verbally.

I would in this instance happily ignore your Health Visitor .

CarlyP Mon 08-Aug-05 14:55:29

my son says woof, oink, quack, miaow, so i know he is taking things onbaord. yesterdays new words were choo-choo when he saw thomas on tv and dan-dad when he saw my dad.

i think ill go and tell her to stick her assesment where the sun doesnt shine!

thanks everyone

handlemecarefully Mon 08-Aug-05 15:00:13

there you go - he is acquiring new words all the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now