Talk

Advanced search

conquering fear of hoover

(5 Posts)
Lizita Sun 07-Aug-05 17:30:02

From what I can tell, babies/toddlers fall into two groups: those who are scared of hoovers, those who aren't!
My dd is terrified. I used to hoover when she'd gone to bed but when she got a bit older she wouldn't sleep through it. Then I used to carry her in one arm and hoover with the other, but then she got too heavy. I then just used to sit her on the settee and hoovered while she got very distressed.

I am very proud to announce that I have conquered her fear. I discovered that by taking away part of the long tube so it was the right height for her, she actually loves helping me hoover, and getting her fave cuddly toy to help too! She still gets distressed if I try by myself though. Must be something to do with being in control.

Any other success stories from people about conquering fears or suchlike?

Carla Sun 07-Aug-05 17:33:01

Yep! Wait until they're 5-7. Then tell them to go into the garden. Lord, my house hasn't seen a hoover this school holiday!

But they're getting better.

toothyboy Sun 07-Aug-05 17:43:01

We had success by letting ds play with the dustbuster (turned off), eventually he let us turn it on and he hoovers his crumbs etc up with it! After time he started to show interest in the proper hoover and now it's a great game for him to run away from it when I'm using it!
And I always have to refer to it as the noo noo!

loupylou Sun 07-Aug-05 22:49:55

We have a Noo Noo too!! Glad i'm not alone. My daughter runs around the lounge on the opposite side form the Noo Noo. I make sure she knows where i'm going next and she has improved, she has a toy Dyson but i'm not convinced that's helped.

hunkermunker Sun 07-Aug-05 22:54:04

DS loves the hoover - he likes it when it chases his toes or straightens the curls on his head (on v low "suck"!).

Mind you, he's still scared of grass...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now