Talk

Advanced search

Screeching

(5 Posts)
Lennie Tue 08-Jul-03 09:33:32

DS is 11 months and one of his new forms of communication is very loud screeching. It can really be very loud and piercing at times. He's done it for a few months, but lately it has become more frequent.

I don't think he does it for attention, as he'll often screech when I am right next to him playing or interacting in some way with him.

I think that I'd best discourage this habit and encourage him to lower the volume, but I don't know how to do it. Any suggestions?

Ness73 Tue 08-Jul-03 10:30:39

Good luck because I haven't had any!! DD is 13 months and loves to screech. I swear it could shatter glass at times! I think it's just part of them beginning to express themselves/communicate/make their presence felt so not much we can do about it.

Eeek Tue 08-Jul-03 10:33:13

I agree with Ness73 that it's the start of communication - have you tried screeching back? If I do it ds is absolutely thrilled and we can 'converse' for quite a while. It does seem to have taken the edge off the ear shattering tone too.

Lennie Wed 09-Jul-03 02:16:53

I do when we're at home but it's not always appropriate when we're in public

I don't want to stifle his communication but it's pretty unpleasant sometimes for other people (usually men who complain) and it makes me uncomfortable if we're out having a meal or something.

dot1 Wed 09-Jul-03 08:53:38

good idea Eeek - when our 19 month old ds screeches, I sometimes screech back a couple of time, but then I start whispering and he tries to copy me! Can help to break the screech cycle (especially at Tesco's...!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: