Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Still not weight bearing at 10 mths. Should I be worrying?

(14 Posts)
mommie Fri 05-Aug-05 12:51:23

My dd is 10 months old and still not weight bearing or crawling. She can sit upright for ages, and babbles away, but that's it. The health visitors are far more concerned than my GP (they started talking about hip scans and physio for goodness sake) but friends say 'just be grateful'. Anyone else been in a similar situation and what did you do? She is an only child and fine in all other respects. (fingers crossed)

Socci Fri 05-Aug-05 12:57:06

Message withdrawn

Norash Fri 05-Aug-05 12:59:12

A friend of mine has an 11 month old who's the same and they are not worried. I don't think that you should worry.

Charlee Fri 05-Aug-05 12:59:18

mommie my ds is 11 months and had never cralwed hes just learning to walk, but only now is he iterested in crawling, your dd may just walk or be a bum shuffler! im sure your g.p knows best so listen to them. good luck hun xxx

Norash Fri 05-Aug-05 13:01:03

I think that health visitors sometimes alarm parents over things that they reall should not.

As Socci said, some kids do not crawl, my sister did not crawl but went straight from sitting to standing and walking.

Windermere Fri 05-Aug-05 13:03:00

My ds is nearly 1 and only started crawling on Monday. 10 minutes later he stood up walked along the sofa. They come on very fast at their own pace.

Chandra Fri 05-Aug-05 13:03:40

DH went stright to cruising more or less about that age, then after a moth realised that it was possible and easier to crawl so he forgot about cruising, and didn't walk until he was around 15 months. He is a bit behing if you compare him to other children but I believe he will even up in some months (unless he becomes as me who still trip with my own feet )

frogs Fri 05-Aug-05 13:07:18

No, shouldn't be worrying. None of my three were mobile at all till after 1st birthday, and then only bum shuffled. Never crawled at all. None would weight bear on legs at this stage. If held up, dd2 in particular would hold her legs out in front of her like a little plastic dolly. All walked late (18 months, 20 months and 18 months).

Do not worry. Health visitors get excited about the most ridiculous things. Unless there are specific medical reasons to suspect problems, eg child is floppy all over, it's probably just how she is. Age of walking and crawling is highly heritable, btw, so might be worth finding out at what age you/dh crawled and walked. And when everybody else's one-year olds are toddling around trashing the joint you can go off and make a cup of tea, knowing your child will be sitting harmlessly in the middle of the floor where you left her. [smug emoticon] Actually late walking is great, because by the time they're in a position to get about, the rudiments of common sense have dawned, so you don't get that terrible 'destruction on legs' syndrome that parents of early walkers have. Just feel smug.

And when the 27th total stranger comes up and asks, "Oh, isn't she walking yet?" you can just say, "No, she's far too busy thinking about world peace to bother with mere walking."

hth

mommie Fri 05-Aug-05 13:07:24

thanks; these messages have put my mind at rest (as much as mothers' minds ever rest!) am very grateful.

Chandra Fri 05-Aug-05 13:08:03

DH? DS! obviously!

Though I think he was also a late walker.

HandbagAddiction Fri 05-Aug-05 13:42:36

Mommie, I'm completely with Frogs on this one and in fact, I owe Frogs a lot in terms of providing me with lots of reassurance about my dd. My dd didn't move until she was 11 months old and then only bum shuffled. She didn't weight bear until she was about 15 months old and didn't walk until 20 months. At nearly 23 months old, she now runs everywhere and no-one can quite believe she's only be walking 3 months!

If she's hitting all her other milestones then I honestly believe, you probably have nothing to worry about.

busywizzy Fri 05-Aug-05 19:51:31

Mommie, my DS (who is now 7) was only sitting up at 10 months and lifted her legs up if you tried to pull her up to standing. As Frogs says, I used to be quite happy watching all the other mums tear around after their little ones when we all got together whilst my DS sat quietly in the corner playing with her toys.

Then one day, when she was almost 11 months old, we were going to a wedding and had a big pressie wrapped up on the other side of the room. DS sat looking at it for ages then suddenly popped herself forward onto her hands and knees and crawled across the room. I almost feel over in shock.

A week or so later, she pulled herself up on the sofa and started crusing around and then took her first steps on her first birthday.

Now she is a fit and healthy seven year old who runs for her school athletics team !!

Hope this gives some reassurance.

PS - My sisters daughter has only just started walking at 19 months simply because she is a lazy little thing and now my sister is saying how much harder she is to look after because she's on the move.

stitch Fri 05-Aug-05 19:56:39

i wouldnt worry at all..
i think the worry is if a baby isnt sitting by one year. and i know that not walking till beyond 18 months is completely normal.

Mog Fri 05-Aug-05 20:50:59

My third child is like this (my first two were walking and crawling by this stage). I was concerned enough to have the health visitor round who told me not to worry at this stage.
BUT I have heard so many stories of HV telling people not to worry and there ends up being something wrong. I'm going to hold fire for now but if nothing happens by the time ds is a year I will push for further answers.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it is easy to tell you not to worry but do you feel there is something that needs investigated? If so I would push as my experience is that health care professionals won't do it for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now