Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

baby addicted to swaddling?

(12 Posts)
lummox Sun 31-Jul-05 16:08:15

following the fantastically useful response to the "how to get a baby out of the bath without him screaming blue murder" question, could I pick MN brains about swaddling?

DS is nearly ten weeks and we have swaddled him when he goes to sleep since he was born.

Because the weather is getting hotter I have got a bit worried about keeping swaddling him so we have tried to put him into a grobag with long sleeved sleep suit.

Result was no sleep.

Everytime we tried.

Anyone got any tips?

WigWamBam Sun 31-Jul-05 16:55:39

I kept swaddling right through the summer, because my dd would only sleep that way to start with too.

Just use a lighter blanket, or cut a sheet down the the right size, and don't use any other covers.

matnanplus Sun 31-Jul-05 17:01:10

Only put baby in a vest/bodysuit [sleeveless] and just a thin sheet or blanket to swaddle with.

Tipex Sun 31-Jul-05 18:00:32

I only stopped swaddling DS at about 5 months and thought it would be a nightmare to stop but he went fine into a grobag. i swaddled him when hot using a thin sheet and put him in just a vest underneath it. I found the terry towelling sheets the best as less slippy so he wouldnt wriggle out as well IYSWIM. I bought a single sheet and cut it down into a square so it was easier to use.

rubles Sun 31-Jul-05 20:20:49

Ditto everyone else here regarding using a lighter sheet. I swaddled mine (including summer in UK and summer in Sydney) until 8 months when she made it clear she didn't want to be, and think it is the best thing ever.

LeahE Sun 31-Jul-05 21:01:00

Just put him in a nappy and swaddle with a light sheet if it's hot. There's not need to cut it out altogether and if swaddling works for him them I think 10 weeks is too young to stop.

alux Sun 31-Jul-05 21:08:48

my dd is nearing 15 wks and I'm pleased to hear that swaddling lasts so long. I wrap her all the time. I found 3 small tablecloths in Bernardo's when I was pg and bought them (50p each) because they were of high quality cotton, great colours with 70's patterns. Possibly from the 70's as they had a lovely 'washed many times softness' to them. I thought - these will come in handy one day.

Was the best £1.50 I have spent in a l-o-n-g time.

KiwiKate Mon 01-Aug-05 05:35:50

My child birth educator said her son always loved swaddling and even at 12yo, likes to have the covers wrapped tightly around him! Your baby will wriggle/get annoyed with the whole swaddling thing when (if) they don't want to be swaddled any more. Enjoy it while it lasts!

matnanplus Mon 01-Aug-05 14:11:03

the other alternaive to full body swaddling is to fold a muslin diagonally and use from shoulders to nappy, hands snug and legs out, also allows more heat loss.

BarefootMama Mon 01-Aug-05 14:14:08

We swaddled in just a sheet when it was warm but I have swaddled 4 children until they are huge eight month lumps and get out of the swaddling five minutes later......we have had four fantstic sleepers and I put it down to that. A west indian midwife taught me as a very naive mum 13 years ago in Liverpool and I never looked back!

lummox Fri 05-Aug-05 10:59:29

thanks all. good to know that would be fine even if ds wants to carry on being swaddled for ages. i really feel it makes a big difference to his sleeping (and that it makes him happy) so would have been very sad to stop.

now on the look out for a piece of muslin big enough to swaddle with.

Kelly1978 Fri 05-Aug-05 11:08:39

My dts won't sleep either without being swaddled. I just swaddle them in their vests and give up! They are 4.5 mnths now,a dn I can't see it changign for a good while yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now