Talk

Advanced search

Is this wire and remote control obsession normal???

(24 Posts)
homemama Fri 29-Jul-05 21:14:10

My DS (nearly 9mths) is totally obsessed by remote controls and any sorts of wires. If he sees an exposed wire, his eyes light up, he gets really excited and he crawls over to it and tries to shove it in his mouth.
He does play with his toys but he doesn't get as excited by them as he does by wires, remote controls and mobile phones (esp the wires)
Is this a bit strange or pretty normal?
Thanks

hunkermunker Fri 29-Jul-05 21:14:36

Normal, IME!

homemama Fri 29-Jul-05 21:17:07

Thanks HM, I'm not overly worried about his development, the wire thing just seemed a bit strange.

helsy Fri 29-Jul-05 21:29:39

Normal - either that or dd2 (14 months) is strange, and so was her sister who is now 5. Dd2 is currently into putting wires into her mouth and is obsessed with all of our remotes. In fact there's no point buying her presents any more - we'll just give her old remotes to play with.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Fri 29-Jul-05 21:36:38

Jess has just turned 1 and has been a remote control and wire freak for about 2-3 months! She actualyl has the "spare" sky remote with no betteries in it to play with as well as a battery-less dvd remote..... wires are the big thing tho - managed to turn the computer off the other day while i was on here by pulling at the wires!!!

Fran1 Fri 29-Jul-05 21:36:38

My dd loved remote controls. To the point that we got some old ones that don't work anymore and gave them to her as toys!!

Linnet Fri 29-Jul-05 21:38:19

my dd2 is exactly the same loves remote controls and she adores dh's controller for his PS2.

She's actually managed to lose our remote for the sky box, can't find it anywhere I have a horrible feeling it may have been put in the bin

nightowl Sat 30-Jul-05 03:41:17

completely normal...dd has been obsessed with remotes since she was sitting up.

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 06:40:26

You can actually buy t shirts for babies/toddlers with "I heart remote controls" on them.

Carlk Sat 30-Jul-05 06:41:11

As the others have said, very common, Like fram we gave DD old ones.
Linnet, Maplin.co.uk do replacements although its worth having another look as we accused DD of the same crime and practically stripped the house trying to find it. When as if by magic two weeks later the remote appears on top of the piano behind a teddy (well out of her reach). I blame the interdimensional pixies
HM celebrate with a tshirt

bobbybob Sat 30-Jul-05 07:15:43

old remote controls, old phones and a really large label with a tiny bit of fur attached would be my ds's favourite toys when he was 9 m o.

mandyc66 Sat 30-Jul-05 07:36:11

why do we ever spend money on toys?! Got piles and piles of them. Ds3 plays with bouncy chair, its been a fire engine a bakers shop, you name it!! He has a fantastic imagination. ds4 loves..yrs remote controls and mobile phones!!!

yorkshirelass Sat 30-Jul-05 08:01:29

My DS is 10 months and exactly the same - remote controls, wires, daddys glasses left on coffee table are all more appealing than the huge pile of toys he has!!

Bought him a new toy this week and he was more interested in the empty box it came in than the toy itself!

mandyc66 Sat 30-Jul-05 08:03:11

my ds is 10months too. just started crawling so nothing is safe anymore!!!

homemama Sat 30-Jul-05 10:43:05

Thank you all.
I've been saying no and wagging my finger at him when he tries to pull at t.v wires. when I do this, he now turns round, smiles and attempts to wag his finger back at me!!!
Oh well, joys of motherhood!

Donbean Sat 30-Jul-05 11:13:41

completely normal, in the end i gave ds an old play station remote with no batteries in it. He played happily with that for ages.

Nbg Sat 30-Jul-05 11:26:38

Very very normal.

DD has 2 old phones and an old remote control.

mandyc66 Sat 30-Jul-05 12:01:43

oh and any magazine that is laying around!!!

Blackduck Sat 30-Jul-05 12:10:15

totally....ds has an old mobile of mine, and a remote with no batteries in it (but he has now worked out which one actually turns on the TV)

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 12:10:57

Mine seemed to know if it was just an old broken one I gave him and still wanted the real one

ruty Sat 30-Jul-05 14:53:12

loves the remote and every phone. Also like tearing magazines to shreds.

highlander Sat 30-Jul-05 15:28:29

my DS is 10 months and loves the telephone extension cable. And the old phone. And my old mobile charger. And any remote control. Crikey the list goes on! He loves trying to wrap wires (or anything long) around his shoulders.

happymerryberries Sat 30-Jul-05 15:38:18

totaly normal. By a year ds had broken both the video and dvd and we had to tape over the controls for the TV to save them from going the same way

kama Sat 30-Jul-05 16:07:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now