Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding themselves? what age??

(22 Posts)
charleepeters Thu 28-Jul-05 16:50:45

What age did your feed themselves with a spoon??

Fio2 Thu 28-Jul-05 16:52:10

a spoon, now you are asking. Whatever age it says in the books it is usually later and no-one will adnmit that theres isnt/wasnt

charleepeters Thu 28-Jul-05 16:54:32

I havent read any books i gave up on that one ages ago when i got e.mail through about my '10 month old' saying, now your baby is mobile............. and i was thinking um no hes not! so i gave up on them as there is no avareage baby.

was just wondering what age roughly to start encouraging ds to feed himself with his spoon he can pick food up with his fingers and eat it, just wanted to know how to encourage him and when.

Distel Thu 28-Jul-05 16:55:05

My ds is 14 months and can feed himself with a spoon but it depends what level of mess you are prepared to tolerate as to wether you want to let them this young or not. He can self feed dry food with a fork prety well though.

womba1 Thu 28-Jul-05 16:56:35

My ds is 2.4 and is trying to eat everything with a spoon... and i mean everything!! He hasn't yet realised that if you turn the spoon upside down to get it into your mouth, that the contents land on the table. It's quite cute to watch but highly frustrating and somewhat messy!
Then of course when i attempt to feed him, he tries to grab the spoon and we both end up covered in food. Oh the joy of feeding time!

Fio2 Thu 28-Jul-05 16:57:34

agree with distel about the mess. Also it depends on whether they are a 'good eater' aswell IME If they are awkward little so and so's it usually takes forever to get them to feed theirselves

charleepeters Thu 28-Jul-05 16:57:50

ds can feed solid food with his fingers by solid food i mean - carrot sticks,biscuits that sort of thing. hes only 11 months so im thinking hes to young! i let him play with his food and his spoon to encourage him.

Mummyvicky Thu 28-Jul-05 17:02:55

My DD is 16 months, and for the past 2 months WONT be fed at all, she uses a fork or a spoon depending on the food, but alot does go all over the floor!

My advice is to let them have a go, but use a pelican bib and a plastic mat under the highchair, and prepare for mess !
Vicky x

alicatsg Thu 28-Jul-05 17:02:56

DS is 22 months and is just getting the idea of the spoon but he got the idea of the fork a lot sooner. Also seems to depend what it is he's got to eat - he can use a spoon rather well with yoghurt but seems less keen when its mince....

sweetkitty Thu 28-Jul-05 17:17:01

My DD is a year refuses to be fed but has got the idea of a spoon and fork she was grabbing them off me, I usually let her play with them and give her little bits of food off them as well.

Wallace Thu 28-Jul-05 17:29:21

my dd was confidently feeding herself with a spoon at 11 months, but couldn't crawl yet!

MaloryTowers Thu 28-Jul-05 17:31:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tortoiseshell Thu 28-Jul-05 17:33:37

Dd could feed herself very competently at 12 months, but she is a bit of a pig and very motivated to get the food into her mouth at all costs!

mummyhill Thu 28-Jul-05 19:06:02

As soon as dd now 3.5 showed an interest in feeding herself i let her have a spoon to have a go whilst shoveling food into her myself at the same time. It was a very messy experience but she loved it.

colditz Thu 28-Jul-05 19:07:01

Ds is 2.3 but still eats nearly everything with his fingers.

Orinoco Thu 28-Jul-05 19:59:22

Message withdrawn

Stilltrue Thu 28-Jul-05 20:17:58

my ds3 is 19 m and has been making a pretty good job of using a spoon for about 5-6m. he also uses a fork quite well but that's easier. In the past 6w or so I've noticed a lot less mess; he now even resists wearing a bib (help!). You could start with one spoon for him and another for you. In no time he will manage very well. My ds doesn't like me helping him anymore!

charleepeters Fri 29-Jul-05 15:46:43

so come on then whats the solution? i dont mind mess i have a huge messy mat, so do i put the bowl in fornt of him and the sppon in his hand and let him experiment? or what?

Chuffed Fri 29-Jul-05 16:04:46

What about putting the spoon in his hand and maybe be beside/behind him a little and guide his hand for the scoop, into mouth. Found this quite good with small pots of yoghurt as you can sort of manipulate the pot to suit whatever they are doing with the spoon.
Also we have found certain spoons are better than others, there is a set we bought in boots which are curved and fat handled and short handled that she manages really well with.
dd manages most meals by herself now at 16mths and if she is struggling will pass the spoon or fork for you to put the food on but expects you to put it back in her bowl for her to feed herself with.

PeachyClair Fri 29-Jul-05 16:47:29

Just give him a spoon and let him go from there- first few times dip it in something he loves (chocolate mousse usually a winner), and see what happens. If he eats with you at mealtimes and sees you using a spoon he'll get the idea. Had no problems moving my 3 onto spoons, getting ds2 (4) to use a fork- now that's a problem (he prefers fingers)

nightowl Sat 30-Jul-05 03:39:42

dd is using a spoon now, she is 18 months and kind of got the hang of it at around 16 months. its still a mess but she's getting there.

hermykne Sat 30-Jul-05 09:20:23

charleepeters
my ds feeds himself with the spoon at 1yr, its backways, upsidedown, and it goes everywhere but he is keen to do it, i feed him between his mouthfuls!
if he is really hungry he doesnt bother just has me feed him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now