Talk

Advanced search

I'm not a climbing frame, but I might as well be!

(15 Posts)
Raspberry Wed 27-Jul-05 10:05:46

This may have been done before, but I would appreciate new views:

My ds, 2.4yrs, is always wanting to climb on me, he always seems to want to sit on my head or stand on me when I'm on the sofa and stand on me and jumping off repeatedly when I'm lying in bed. He also has this habit of, not exactly head butting me, but squashing his face against mine really hard.

I'm quite happy with the odd bit of 'rough and tumble' with my lively ds, don't get me wrong, its just that I find this behaviour odd, is it normal? Will it pass? Can I do anything to discourage it? Have other parents experience of this behaviour?

Advice appreciated

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 10:11:23

It's normal. You need to give him guidelines as to how far you allow it to go though; if you don't want him climbing over you then remove him (or yourself) and tell him "no". He's old enough to understand and respond to "no", and if he doesn't straight away then just keep removing him and telling him "no". It might take a few tries, particularly as you have allowed it so far, but he'll get it in the end.

Berries Wed 27-Jul-05 10:26:37

We used 'gentle' if they were getting too rough. It's completely normal, something to do with not quite realising that you're a separate person. DD1 still hasn't figured it out yet & she's 10 this year!!
BTW I've got 2 dds so it's not just boys.

Berries Wed 27-Jul-05 10:28:34

BTW DH bought me a card a few years ago
front - there are 6 rooms in this house, a lounge, a dining room etc and they've all got furniture in them
inside - SO WHY DO YOU ALL SIT ON ME

says it all really

emily05 Wed 27-Jul-05 10:31:47

ds is nearly 3 and thinks of me as his own climbing frame/trampoline. (as well as cook, slave and potty emptier of-course )

I often pass him over to his dad for the rough stuff. agree about the setting boundries thing - I suppose they have to learn physical limits.

But it is normal.

Raspberry Wed 27-Jul-05 10:39:33

Thanks all

I suppose what bugs me about it is that we are quite happy for him to do lots of climbing, on the sofas, on his bed, on his climbing frame in the garden, at the park, etc.. but he still chooses me in preference!

It sounds like trying to ignore it won't work?
Is it sort of a bonding thing in his eyes Berries?

Lizzylou Wed 27-Jul-05 10:42:57

raspberry, my DS (16mths)has started doing this all the time, I am in early pregancy so obviously v concerned.....I try saying "no" and putting him down on the floor etc, but he still keeps doing it...I was worried he was going to be a real Spiderman as he also tried climbing the garden fence at the weekend and attempst to climb up everything he finds! It's exhausting as I have to run round after him to make sure he doesn't fall!

Berries Wed 27-Jul-05 16:13:11

Not sure whether it's bonding, just know that now my dds are older they don't climb on me as much, but if I'm sat on the sofa they have to be sat so close I lose the use of my arms! They seem to have no idea of personal space when it's a parent (they're ok with everybody else). I just don't think they register me as someone separate from them. OTOH it's quite sweet really, and I'm sure that if they ever stop doing it I'll really miss it. DH regularly comes in & can only see the top of my head in between the 2 girls

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jul-05 16:17:05

how funny - I was just thinking this the other day. Dd doesn't do this so much anymore but ds is constantly climbing all over me (he's 3). Most of the time I don't mind but it's a bit painful when you've got a period and your 3 yr old is putting his foot through your ovaries to climb on your head!

I've noticed ds does it when he wants attention or a big cuddle (he's a very cuddly boy). I make sure he knows when he's hurting me and not to do it to other adults but other than that, I'm sure he'll outgrow it like dd did.

foxinsocks Wed 27-Jul-05 16:18:33

I would just let your ds know that he can cuddle with you or have a little play but draw the line at hurting - I do think it's quite normal but I think some children like to do it more than others!

MrsDoolittle Wed 27-Jul-05 16:21:52

I'm pleased tp read this thread. Dd is 15 months and dm noticed her climbing all over me a couple of months ago as I was sitting on the floor. She said, "You'll have to stop her climbing all over you like that"
I didn't understand what she meant and I didn't ask. Now however, I am beginning to understand because she is getting heavier and she will bounce on my tummy and I'm 10 weeks pregnant.
I am thinking I am going to have to say no. Although, it'll be hard because I love the fact she wants to be near me.

Lizzylou Wed 27-Jul-05 16:24:05

MrsD, I do worry when DS is climbing over my tummy, he doesn't know not too and I don't want to upset him, but obviously have to stop him...

anniebear Sun 31-Jul-05 17:34:52

My twin girls are nearly 4 and have to be told not to climb and jump on us and their Grandparents!!

They can hurt at times, always squash me, poke me etc

The worst thing is when they land on my boobs in bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KiwiKate Mon 01-Aug-05 12:16:25

I'm 34 wks preg, and from early on have told DS (2.3yo) "careful of the baby" when he climbs on me. We still have a rough and tumble, but I've set definate limits. He did not get upset about the limits, but happily adapted his behaviour to the boundaries I set. Him & DH do the really rough stuff. The limits I set have not stopped him being close to me, hugging, kissing and climbing on me (in a bit more of a controlled way). The longer you leave it to set the boundaries, the more difficult it will become (they will get upset if you've allowed one behaviour and then suddenly change the "rules").

spidermama Mon 01-Aug-05 12:23:40

Boys, boys, boys. My 5 year old ds has grown out of it but my 3.5 year old still does it. I try to get my dh to be their climbing frame when he's around. Boys seem to love this very physical approach. Cute, but soooooo wearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now