Talk

Advanced search

Very Hungry Baby - any advice???

(10 Posts)
julesandweekabeya Mon 25-Jul-05 14:23:33

Hi there. Wondered what your thoughts were - my dd is 12 weeks and is currently having on average 6 bottles per day of 8oz - she is not finishing all of them but taking at least 6oz. The time between feeds is getting shorter and shorter and she just seems to be hungry all the time.

Spoke to health visitor who said that she is a big baby and there is nothing wrong and just to keep doing what am doing. However friends with babies have suggested using the hungry baby formula or even starting to introduce food - however thought you were not to introduce food until 18 weeks?

I just want her to be more content and wondered what suggestions you may have??

WigWamBam Mon 25-Jul-05 14:27:04

Current advice is not to introduce solids until 6 months, so do try not to take too much notice of anyone who tells you to give solids as 12 weeks.

Your HV sounds as if she knows what she's doing - and if your dd is well and gaining weight on the amount of milk she's having then she's fine. The hungry baby formula might be worth a try, but it sounds to me as if what you're doing is fine.

mandyc66 Mon 25-Jul-05 14:30:45

dont introduce solids!! stick to what you are doing..you are doing the right thing!!! 12 weeks is a usual groth spirt!!

nell12 Mon 25-Jul-05 17:13:01

have you considered that she may not be hungry? She may have got herself into the routine of expecting food all the time... my dd was the same, feeding every 2 1/2hrs AARRGH! If she isn't finishing the bottles, then she should be able to go for longer as she is probably not completely hungry yet. Try extending gaps between feeds by 10-15 minutes every day, maybe take a walk or sing like a mad woman to distract her.
Hugry baby formula worked for us (aptamil)
Good luck

Kidstrack2 Mon 25-Jul-05 17:49:09

I had a really hungry baby. When he was born he was the only baby on the ward to finish the little glass bottle of milk on the ward and I think it held 4oz and by the time he was out the hospital he was on 6bottles of 6oz. Your dd sounds fine on her bottles and as she isn't draining the whole 8oz but only 6oz and taking 6bottles in 24hours it sounds absolutely normal. It might be worth a try to try a bulkier milk to adjust the time of longer spells between feeds. Anthing between 3-4hrs of the next feed is normal I think!

milosmum Mon 25-Jul-05 18:20:24

my DS was constantly hungry- i just introduced him to hungry baby formula- however he is 4 now and at the time to age for weaning babies was 12weeks- so HV advised i started at 11 wks because of his appetite. i understand now its 6mths, so definatly get them on the hungry baby milk....

bumpylump Mon 25-Jul-05 18:29:20

Hiya my ds is 12 weeks too and had exactly the same problem the feeds were every 2 hours then eventually went to every 1 1/2 and he kept being sick as if they were not satisfying his hunger. I spoke to HV and she said exactly the same as the MN'ters not to introduce solids, her tummy isnt ready for them yet. I switched to SMA white, no difference so am now on SMA staydown he is so much happier and going 3/4 hours between feeds again. The milk is much thicker (available in large boots stores) They have a huge growth spurt at 12 wks apparantly, hope this helps.

bumpylump Mon 25-Jul-05 18:32:07

nell12 LOL at "sing like a mad woman" thought I was the only one

nell12 Mon 25-Jul-05 19:30:31

its when the whole family starts to chant "I'm a dingle dangle scarecrow" as we walk around Asda that I realise we may have a problem...!

mandyc66 Tue 26-Jul-05 09:28:06

all my babies have fed 2 hourly at some time or another. the eldest is now 14 and still seems to
'whatis there to eat' is the constant cry in our house!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: