Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do you let your 10 month old watch TV?

(11 Posts)
ruty Mon 25-Jul-05 11:18:43

I'm a bit new to this SAHM business. I'm running out of ideas for things to do to keep my 10 month old stimulated, especially now music classes have finished for holidays and mother and baby groups rather empty for same reason. He enjoys watching Cbeebies but i'm not sure he should watch as much as he does while i try to work from home [ahem, and look at Mnet much more than i should.] Any ideas? And should i turn off the TV all together? WE go for a walk every day and he has plenty of toys, but i worry he's getting bored.

Papillon Mon 25-Jul-05 11:40:15

Hi Ruty

Have heard it is not good for the eye balls TV before 1 year old.

Can you do your own little music session with him at home? Is there a play group nearby so he can watch the other kids and have a crawl around. Even if the weather is good... a local swimming place. Lots of action and fresh air to be had there.

ruty Mon 25-Jul-05 12:02:10

thanks Paps. not good for the eyeballs!`Oh no. We must try to get out to the pool - its always so crowded. Don't know of playgroups in the area, will have to find out.

fruitful Mon 25-Jul-05 12:15:15

Videos designed for babies may be better - like the Baby Einstein ones - because everything moves slowly. I remember hearing that the prob with TV for very small children is that it all goes too fast.

However... ds (5mo) watches loads of tv. He also spends a lot of time watching his older sister zoom around the room, and I fail to see the difference as far as his eyes are concerned!

Can you get together with some other mums?

Is there a local toy library to borrow new toys from (ask your HV).

Check out your library for groups that may run through the hols (there will be a notice board, probably). Our libary does "story time" once a week too.

Do you know anyone with an older child (10 or so) who would like to be paid pocket money to come and play with your baby? (with you in the room, and you there to do the "looking after" - child is just for entertainment!).

ruty Mon 25-Jul-05 12:30:45

i don't know many people in the`area as` we only moved when ds was born. will get the baby einstein videos, thanks for that. Gosh, hope his eyes are ok!

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 12:32:37

Hi ruty,

My DS3 (11.5 months now) does love the Baby Einstein videos.

Have you tried taking him to the playground? Especially if there's one near where you live with a sandpit?

ruty Mon 25-Jul-05 12:38:08

hi dinosaur! there is no playground within walking distance but when i have the car i could`take him. He can go on the baby swings now couldn't he? Its such a shame, he loves other children and adults' company but we only get to see people at weekends mostly.

Bozza Mon 25-Jul-05 12:42:18

Would probably love the swings at that age. Both my two did. Have you got a garden? Could you get a sand pit in there?

Nemo1977 Mon 25-Jul-05 12:42:41

ruty have u looked under meet ups to see if there is a thread for ur area.

Also if u have a sure start by you then they should be doing activities over the summer.

dinosaur Mon 25-Jul-05 12:43:28

My oldest didn't like swings but DS2 did and DS3 does.

Sandpit in garden is a very good idea. Another thing that mine liked doing in the garden from very young is any kind of water play - even just a washing up bowl and some empty squeezy bottles of water.

ruty Mon 25-Jul-05 12:50:30

no garden. we live in an upstairs flat, dying to move but finances won't allow right now. i really feel like he's missing out on so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now