Talk

Advanced search

Questions realated to the 'saying pardon' thread & speech....

(4 Posts)
swiperfox Sun 24-Jul-05 12:04:08

DD is 3.7 and constantly says "Huh?" or "what?" when I'm talking to her. It drives me mad. Sometimes I just give up repeating myself and ask her what I just said because I know she heard me. At the same time there's also a nagging in the back of my mind that I should get her hearing checked.

My other concern is her speech. She has a huge vocubulary but her speech is often slurred or she will miss the ends of of words because she is trying to get it all out too quickly. When she does this, sometimes only I can understand her.

I think that a big part of her speech problem might be because of dp. He is absolutely uselsess at listening (to anyone) especially if he's watching tv and more often than not if dd is trying to talk to him it goes over his head until i shout at him to get his attention. I think this is knocking dd's confidence and making her maybe feel that she isn't listened to when she talks.
Does anyone think that's a viable theory? or is it just the way 3 year olds talk?

Blossomhill Sun 24-Jul-05 12:13:39

I think it's worth getting chekced out. It could be glue ear causing this, although I am not at all sure if it is.

QueenEagle Sun 24-Jul-05 12:15:32

I posted the following on the other thread, and though it worth cutting and pasting here:-

Whilst i agree with getting the hearing checked out if you are worried, I would say this. All of mine at some stage have automatically said "What?" or "Pardon?" when I think they have heard me perfectly well, it's just they have been distracted so not heard all of what I said. I made a point of calling their name first and waiting for them to look at me before I said what I wanted them to do. It worked wonders and lessened mine and theirs frustration.

Try it, see how youu go.

swiperfox Sun 24-Jul-05 12:17:25

just saw that qe and sounds like a good idea to try it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now